A new value-weighted total return index for the Finnish stock market
AbstractThis paper presents a new monthly value-weighted, all-share total return index for the Finnish stock market. The index covers the period from the establishment of the Helsinki Stock Exchange in October 1912 to the beginning of 1970, after which another index becomes available. When combined, they can be used to study continuously the development of the Finnish equity market from the beginning of the stock exchange until the present day. We also provide a detailed description of the construction methodology and a comparison between our index and those available earlier. The index replaces the Unitas price index which has been the only index available for long-term studies from 1928 onwards. The new index also provides an alternative to the book equity weighted Poutvaara (1996) price index for the period 1912-1929.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in International Business and Finance.
Volume (Year): 24 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ribaf
Stock market index Finland Helsinki Stock Exchange Nasdaq OMX Unitas History;
Other versions of this item:
- Nyberg , Peter & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2009. "A new value-weighted total return index for the Finnish stock market," Research Discussion Papers 21/2009, Bank of Finland.
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nielsen, Steen & Risager, Ole, 2001. "Stock Returns And Bond Yields In Denmark, 1922-99," Working Papers 03-2001, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Belter, Klaus & Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2005.
"A new daily dividend-adjusted index for the Danish stock market, 1985-2002: construction, statistical properties, and return predictability,"
Research in International Business and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 53-70, March.
- Belter, Klaus & Engsted, Tom & Tanggaard, Carsten, 2003. "A New Daily Dividend-adjusted Index for the Danish Stock Market, 1985-2002: Construction, Statistical Properties, and Return Predictability," Finance Working Papers 03-1, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Business Studies.
- Antell, Jan & Vaihekoski, Mika, 2012. "Pricing currency risk in the stock market: Evidence from Finland and Sweden 1970–2009," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 120-136.
- Mika Vaihekoski, 2011. "History of financial research and education in Finland," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(5-6), pages 339-354.
- Jan Antell & Mika Vaihekoski, 2011. "Pricing currency risk in the stock market: Empirical evidence from Finland and Sweden 1970-2009," Discussion Papers 63, Aboa Centre for Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.