Rumor spreading model considering forgetting and remembering mechanisms in inhomogeneous networks
AbstractThe SIHR rumor spreading model with consideration of the forgetting and remembering mechanisms was studied in homogeneous networks. We further investigate the properties of the SIHR model in inhomogeneous networks. The SIHR model is refined and mean-field equations are derived to describe the dynamics of the rumor spreading model in inhomogeneous networks. Steady-state analysis is carried out, which shows no spreading threshold existing. Numerical simulations are conducted in a BA scale-free network. The simulation results show that the network topology exerts significant influences on the rumor spreading: In comparison with the ER network, the rumor spreads faster and the final size of the rumor is smaller in BA scale-free network; the forgetting and remembering mechanisms greatly impact the final size of the rumor. Finally, through the numerical simulation, we examine the effects that the spreading rate and the stifling rate have on the the influence of the rumor. In addition, the no threshold result is verified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 392 (2013)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Rumor spreading model; Inhomogeneous networks; Forgetting mechanism; Remembering mechanism; Threshold;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Buzna, Lubos & Peters, Karsten & Helbing, Dirk, 2006. "Modelling the dynamics of disaster spreading in networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 363(1), pages 132-140.
- J. Gu & W. Li & X. Cai, 2008. "The effect of the forget-remember mechanism on spreading," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, vol. 62(2), pages 247-255, 03.
- Zhao, Laijun & Wang, Jiajia & Chen, Yucheng & Wang, Qin & Cheng, Jingjing & Cui, Hongxin, 2012. "SIHR rumor spreading model in social networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(7), pages 2444-2453.
- Galam, Serge & Jacobs, Frans, 2007. "The role of inflexible minorities in the breaking of democratic opinion dynamics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 381(C), pages 366-376.
- Zhao, Laijun & Wang, Qin & Cheng, Jingjing & Chen, Yucheng & Wang, Jiajia & Huang, Wei, 2011. "Rumor spreading model with consideration of forgetting mechanism: A case of online blogging LiveJournal," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(13), pages 2619-2625.
- Galam, Serge, 2003. "Modelling rumors: the no plane Pentagon French hoax case," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 320(C), pages 571-580.
- Nekovee, M. & Moreno, Y. & Bianconi, G. & Marsili, M., 2007. "Theory of rumour spreading in complex social networks," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 374(1), pages 457-470.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.