Tsallis non-extensive statistics, intermittent turbulence, SOC and chaos in the solar plasma, Part one: Sunspot dynamics
AbstractIn this study, the non-linear analysis of the sunspot index is embedded in the non-extensive statistical theory of Tsallis (1988, 2004, 2009) [7,9,10]. The q-triplet of Tsallis, as well as the correlation dimension and the Lyapunov exponent spectrum were estimated for the SVD components of the sunspot index timeseries. Also the multifractal scaling exponent spectrum f(a), the generalized Renyi dimension spectrum D(q) and the spectrum J(p) of the structure function exponents were estimated experimentally and theoretically by using the q-entropy principle included in Tsallis non-extensive statistical theory, following Arimitsu and Arimitsu (2001, 2000) [76,77]. Our analysis showed clearly the following: (a) a phase transition process in the solar dynamics from high dimensional non-Gaussian SOC state to a low dimensional non-Gaussian chaotic state, (b) strong intermittent solar turbulence and anomalous (multifractal) diffusion solar process, which is strengthened as the solar dynamics makes a phase transition to low dimensional chaos in accordance to Ruzmaikin, Zeleny and Milovanov’s studies (Zelenyi and Milovanov (1991) ); Milovanov and Zelenyi (1993) ; Ruzmakin et al. (1996) ) (c) faithful agreement of Tsallis non-equilibrium statistical theory with the experimental estimations of (i) non-Gaussian probability distribution function P(x), (ii) multifractal scaling exponent spectrum f(a) and generalized Renyi dimension spectrum Dq, (iii) exponent spectrum J(p) of the structure functions estimated for the sunspot index and its underlying non equilibrium solar dynamics.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 391 (2012)
Issue (Month): 24 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Tsallis non-extensive statistics; Non-Gaussian solar process; Low dimensional chaos; Self organized criticality (SOC); Non-equilibrium phase transition; Intermittent turbulence; Sunspot dynamics; Solar activity;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferri, G.L. & Reynoso Savio, M.F. & Plastino, A., 2010. "Tsallis’ q-triplet and the ozone layer," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(9), pages 1829-1833.
- Pavlos, G.P. & Karakatsanis, L.P. & Xenakis, M.N. & Sarafopoulos, D. & Pavlos, E.G., 2012. "Tsallis statistics and magnetospheric self-organization," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(11), pages 3069-3080.
- Kaniadakis, G. & Lavagno, A. & Lissia, M. & Quarati, P., 1998. "Anomalous diffusion modifies solar neutrino fluxes," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 261(3), pages 359-373.
- Arimitsu, Toshihico & Arimitsu, Naoko, 2001. "Analysis of turbulence by statistics based on generalized entropies," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 295(1), pages 177-194.
- Lenzi, E.K. & Mendes, R.S. & da Silva, L.R., 2000. "Statistical mechanics based on Renyi entropy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 280(3), pages 337-345.
- McCauley, Joseph L., 1997. "Nonintegrability, chaos, and complexity," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 237(3), pages 387-404.
- Pavlos, G.P. & Iliopoulos, A.C. & Tsoutsouras, V.G. & Sarafopoulos, D.V. & Sfiris, D.S. & Karakatsanis, L.P. & Pavlos, E.G., 2011. "First and second order non-equilibrium phase transition and evidence for non-extensive Tsallis statistics in Earth’s magnetosphere," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 390(15), pages 2819-2839.
- Pavlos, G.P. & Karakatsanis, L.P. & Xenakis, M.N. & Pavlos, E.G. & Iliopoulos, A.C. & Sarafopoulos, D.V., 2014. "Universality of non-extensive Tsallis statistics and time series analysis: Theory and applications," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 395(C), pages 58-95.
- Karakatsanis, L.P. & Pavlos, G.P. & Xenakis, M.N., 2013. "Tsallis non-extensive statistics, intermittent turbulence, SOC and chaos in the solar plasma. Part two: Solar flares dynamics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(18), pages 3920-3944.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.