Some new results on the Levy, Levy and Solomon microscopic stock market model
AbstractWe report some findings from our simulations of the Levy, Levy and Solomon microscopic stock market model. Our results cast doubts on some of the results published in the original papers (i.e., chaotic stock price movements). We also point out the possibility of sensitive dependence on initial conditions of the emerging wealth distribution among agents. Extensions of the model set-up show that with varying degrees of risk aversion, the less risk averse traders will tend to dominate the market. Similarly, when introducing a new trader group (or even a single trader) with a constant share of stocks in their portfolio, the latter will eventually take over and marginalize the other groups. The better performance of the more sober investors is in accordance with traditional perceptions in financial economics. Hence, the survival of ‘noise traders’ looking at short-term trends and patterns remains as much of a puzzle in this framework as in the traditional Efficient Market Theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications.
Volume (Year): 291 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/
Stock market simulation; Microscopic model; Heterogeneous agents;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- He, Xue-Zhong & Zheng, Min, 2010.
"Dynamics of moving average rules in a continuous-time financial market model,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 615-634, December.
- Xue-Zhong He & Min Zheng, 2010. "Dynamics of Moving Average Rules in a Continuous-time Financial Market Model," Research Paper Series 268, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Anufriev, M. & Bottazzi, G., 2006.
"Price and Wealth Dynamics in a Speculative Market with Generic Procedurally Rational Traders,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
06-02, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Gulio Bottazzi & Mikhail Anufriev, 2006. "Price and Wealth Dynamics in a Speculative Market with Generic Procedurally Rational Traders," Working Papers wp06-02, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Mikhail Anufriev & Giulio Bottazzi, 2006. "Behavioral Consistent Market Equilibria under Procedural Rationality," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 225, Society for Computational Economics.
- Mikhail Anufriev & Pietro Dindo, 2007.
"Wealth-driven Selection in a Financial Market with Heterogeneous Agents,"
LEM Papers Series
2007/27, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Anufriev, Mikhail & Dindo, Pietro, 2010. "Wealth-driven selection in a financial market with heterogeneous agents," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 327-358, March.
- Mikhail Anufriev, 2008.
"Wealth-driven competition in a speculative financial market: examples with maximizing agents,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 363-380.
- Mikhail Anufriev, 2005. "Wealth-Driven Competition in a Speculative Financial Market: Examples with Maximizing Agents," LEM Papers Series 2005/27, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Anufriev, M., 2005. "Wealth-Driven Competition in a Speculative Financial Market: Examples With Maximizing Agents," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-17, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- LeBaron, Blake, 2006. "Agent-based Computational Finance," Handbook of Computational Economics, in: Leigh Tesfatsion & Kenneth L. Judd (ed.), Handbook of Computational Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 24, pages 1187-1233 Elsevier.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci & Xue-Zhong He, 2011. "The dynamic behaviour of asset prices in disequilibrium: a survey," International Journal of Behavioural Accounting and Finance, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 2(2), pages 101-139.
- Anufriev, Mikhail & Bottazzi, Giulio & Pancotto, Francesca, 2006. "Equilibria, stability and asymptotic dominance in a speculative market with heterogeneous traders," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(9-10), pages 1787-1835.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.