On Stochastic Orders for Sums of Independent Random Variables
AbstractIn this paper, it is shown that a convolution of uniform distributions (a) is more dispersed and (b) has a smaller hazard rate when the scale parameters of the uniform distributions are more dispersed in the sense of majorization. It is also shown that a convolution of gamma distributions with a common shape parameter greater than 1 is larger in (a) likelihood ratio order and (b) dispersive order when the scale parameters are more dispersed in the sense of majorization.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 80 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kochar, Subhash & Ma, Chunsheng, 1999. "Dispersive ordering of convolutions of exponential random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 321-324, July.
- Boland, Philip J. & El-Neweihi, Emad & Proschan, Frank, 1994. "Schur properties of convolutions of exponential and geometric random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 157-167, January.
- Zhao, Peng & Hu, Taizhong, 2010. "On hazard rate ordering of the sums of heterogeneous geometric random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 44-51, January.
- Zhao, Peng & Balakrishnan, N., 2009. "Likelihood ratio ordering of convolutions of heterogeneous exponential and geometric random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 79(15), pages 1717-1723, August.
- Jongwoo Jeon & Subhash Kochar & Chul Park, 2006. "Dispersive ordering—Some applications and examples," Statistical Papers, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 227-247, March.
- Fathi Manesh, Sirous & Khaledi, Baha-Eldin, 2008. "On the likelihood ratio order for convolutions of independent generalized Rayleigh random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(18), pages 3139-3144, December.
- Zhao, Peng, 2011. "Some new results on convolutions of heterogeneous gamma random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 102(5), pages 958-976, May.
- Zhao, Peng & Balakrishnan, N., 2009. "Mean residual life order of convolutions of heterogeneous exponential random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(8), pages 1792-1801, September.
- Lihong, Sun & Xinsheng, Zhang, 2005. "Stochastic comparisons of order statistics from gamma distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 112-121, March.
- Lu, ZhiYi & Meng, LiLi, 2011. "Stochastic comparisons for allocations of policy limits and deductibles with applications," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 338-343, May.
- Zhao, Peng & Balakrishnan, N., 2010. "Ordering properties of convolutions of heterogeneous Erlang and Pascal random variables," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(11-12), pages 969-974, June.
- Balakrishnan, Narayanaswamy & Belzunce, Félix & Sordo, Miguel A. & Suárez-Llorens, Alfonso, 2012. "Increasing directionally convex orderings of random vectors having the same copula, and their use in comparing ordered data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 45-54.
- Belzunce, Félix & Ruiz, José M. & Suárez-Llorens, Alfonso, 2008. "On multivariate dispersion orderings based on the standard construction," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(3), pages 271-281, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.