Asymptotic expansions for distributions of latent roots in multivariate analysis
AbstractAsymptotic expansions are given for the distributions of latent roots of matrices in three multivariate situations. The distribution of the roots of the matrix S1(S1 + S2)-1, where S1 is Wm(n1, [Sigma], [Omega]) and S2 is Wm(n2, [Sigma]), is studied in detail and asymptotic series for the distribution are obtained which are valid for some or all of the roots of the noncentrality matrix [Omega] large. These expansions are obtained using partial-differential equations satisfied by the distribution. Asymptotic series are also obtained for the distributions of the roots of n-1S, where S in Wm(n, [Sigma]), for large n, and S1S2-1, where S1 is Wm(n1, [Sigma]) and S2 is Wm(n2, [Sigma]), for large n1 + n2.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 6 (1976)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chikuse, Yasuko, 1998. "Density Estimation on the Stiefel Manifold," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 66(2), pages 188-206, August.
- Chikuse, Yasuko, 2003. "Concentrated matrix Langevin distributions," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 375-394, May.
- Chao, John C. & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2002.
"Jeffreys prior analysis of the simultaneous equations model in the case with n+1 endogenous variables,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 251-283, December.
- John C. Chao & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1998. "Jeffreys Prior Analysis of the Simultaneous Equations Model in the Case with n+1 Endogenous Variables," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1198, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, Peter C B, 1994.
"Some Exact Distribution Theory for Maximum Likelihood Estimators of Cointegrating Coefficients in Error Correction Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(1), pages 73-93, January.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1992. "Some Exact Distribution Theory for Maximum Likelihood Estimators of Cointegrating Coefficients in Error Correction Models," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1039, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.