On Polynomial Estimators of Frontiers and Boundaries
AbstractMotivated by problems of frontier estimation in productivity analysis, and boundary estimation in scatter-point image analysis, we consider polynomial-based estimators of the edge of a distribution. Our aim is to develop methods for correcting polynomial-type estimators of bias, and for constructing simultaneous confidence bands for the data edge. We tackle this problem by first deriving large-sample approximations to distributions of polynomial-based edge estimators, and then developing algorithms for simulating from them so as to produce Monte Carlo approximations to the distribution of the difference between the true edge and its estimator. This involves applying representations for joint extreme value distributions. The majority of attention is focused on the parametric case, but nonparametric problems, where polynomial approximations are fitted locally, are also considered.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 66 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- SIMAR , Léopold, 1995.
"Aspects of Statistical Analysis in DEA-Type Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Simar, L., . "Aspects of statistical analysis in DEA-type frontier models," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1226, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Tsybakov, A.B. & Korostelev, A.P. & Simar, L., 1992. "Efficient Estimation of Monotone Boundaries," Papers 9209, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Hall, Peter & Park, Byeong U., 2004. "Bandwidth choice for local polynomial estimation of smooth boundaries," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 240-261, November.
- Jeong, Seok-Oh & Park, Byeong U., 2004. "Limit Distribution of Convex-Hull Estimators of Boundaries," Papers 2004,39, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Daouia, Abdelaati & Noh, Hohsuk & Park, Byeong U., 2013. "Data envelope fitting with constrained polynomial splines," TSE Working Papers 13-449, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- U. Park, Byeong, 2001. "On estimating the slope of increasing boundaries," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 69-72, March.
- Girard, Stéphane & Guillou, Armelle & Stupfler, Gilles, 2013. "Frontier estimation with kernel regression on high order moments," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 172-189.
- Martins-Filho, Carlos & Yao, Feng, 2007. "Nonparametric frontier estimation via local linear regression," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 283-319, November.
- Daouia, Abdelaati & Girard, Stéphane & Guillou, Armelle, 2014. "A Γ-moment approach to monotonic boundary estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 178(2), pages 727-740.
- Hwang, J. H. & Park, B. U. & Ryu, W., 2002. "Limit theorems for boundary function estimators," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(4), pages 353-360, October.
- Girard, Stéphane & Jacob, Pierre, 2008. "Frontier estimation via kernel regression on high power-transformed data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(3), pages 403-420, March.
- Martins-Filho, Carlos & Yao, Feng, 2008. "A smooth nonparametric conditional quantile frontier estimator," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(2), pages 317-333, April.
- Cheng, Ming-Yen & Hall, Peter, 2006. "Methods for tracking support boundaries with corners," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(8), pages 1870-1893, September.
- Girard, Séphane & Jacob, Pierre, 2009. "Frontier estimation with local polynomials and high power-transformed data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(8), pages 1691-1705, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.