A Cross-Validation Bandwidth Choice for Kernel Density Estimates with Selection Biased Data
AbstractThis paper studies the risks and bandwidth choices of a kernel estimate of the underlying density when the data are obtained fromsindependent biased samples. The main results of this paper give the asymptotic representation of the integrated squared errors and the mean integrated squared errors of the estimate and establish a cross-validation criterion for bandwidth selection. This kernel density estimate is shown to be asymptotically superior to many other intuitive kernel density estimates. The data-driven cross-validation bandwidth is shown to be asymptotically optimal in the sense of Stone (1984,Ann. Statist.12, 1285-1297). The finite sample properties of the cross-validation bandwidth are investigated through a Monte Carlo simulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 61 (1997)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Colin Wu & Andrew Mao, 1996. "Minimax kernels for density estimation with biased data," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 48(3), pages 451-467, September.
- Marron, James Stephen & Härdle, Wolfgang, 1986. "Random approximations to some measures of accuracy in nonparametric curve estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 91-113, October.
- Morgenthaler, S. & Vardi, Y., 1986. "Choice-based samples : A non-parametric approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 109-125, June.
- Ahmad, Ibrahim A., 1995. "On multivariate kernel estimation for samples from weighted distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 121-129, February.
- José Cristóbal & José Alcalá, 2001. "An overview of nonparametric contributions to the problem of functional estimation from biased data," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 309-332, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.