Analysis of the Limiting Spectral Distribution of Large Dimensional Random Matrices
AbstractResults on the analytic behavior of the limiting spectral distribution of matrices of sample covariance type, studied in Marcenko and Pastur  and Yin , are derived. Through an equation defining its Stieltjes transform, it is shown that the limiting distribution has a continuous derivative away from zero, the derivative being analytic wherever it is positive, and resembles [formula] for most cases of x0 in the boundary of its support. A complete analysis of a way to determine its support, originally outlined in Marcenko and Pastur , is also presented.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bai, Zhidong & Li, Hua & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2013. "The best estimation for high-dimensional Markowitz mean-variance optimization," MPRA Paper 43862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yao, Jianfeng, 2012. "A note on a Marčenko–Pastur type theorem for time series," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 22-28.
- Paul, Debashis & Silverstein, Jack W., 2009. "No eigenvalues outside the support of the limiting empirical spectral distribution of a separable covariance matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 37-57, January.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Spectrum estimation: a unified framework for covariance matrix estimation and PCA in large dimensions," ECON - Working Papers 105, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2013.
- Taras Bodnar & Nestor Parolya & Wolfgang Schmid, 2014. "Estimation of the Global Minimum Variance Portfolio in High Dimensions," Papers 1406.0437, arXiv.org.
- Olivier Ledoit & Sandrine Péché, 2009. "Eigenvectors of some large sample covariance matrices ensembles," IEW - Working Papers 407, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bai, Z.D. & Zhang, L.X., 2010. "The limiting spectral distribution of the product of the Wigner matrix and a nonnegative definite matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 1927-1949, October.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Optimal estimation of a large-dimensional covariance matrix under Stein’s loss," ECON - Working Papers 122, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Dec 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.