On the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of a Class of Large Dimensional Random Matrices
AbstractA stronger result on the limiting distribution of the eigenvalues of random Hermitian matrices of the form A + XTX*, originally studied in Marcenko and Pastur, is presented. Here, X(N - n), T(n - n), and A(N - N) are independent, with X containing i.i.d. entries having finite second moments, T is diagonal with real (diagonal) entries, A is Hermitian, and n/N --> c > 0 as N --> [infinity]. Under additional assumptions on the eigenvalues of A and T, almost sure convergence of the empirical distribution function of the eigenvalues of A + XTX* is proven with the aid of Stieltjes transforms, taking a more direct approach than previous methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Olivier Ledoit & Sandrine Péché, 2009. "Eigenvectors of some large sample covariance matrices ensembles," IEW - Working Papers 407, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Laurent Laloux & M. Augusta Miceli & Marc Potters, 2005.
"Large dimension forecasting models and random singular value spectra,"
Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive
500066, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Laurent Laloux & M. Augusta Miceli & Marc Potters, 2005. "Large dimension forecasting models and random singular value spectra," Papers physics/0512090, arXiv.org.
- Bai, Z.D. & Zhang, L.X., 2010. "The limiting spectral distribution of the product of the Wigner matrix and a nonnegative definite matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 1927-1949, October.
- Hsu, Chih-Yuan & Wu, Tiee-Jian, 2013. "Efficient estimation of the mode of continuous multivariate data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 63(C), pages 148-159.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Optimal estimation of a large-dimensional covariance matrix under Stein’s loss," ECON - Working Papers 122, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Dec 2013.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Spectrum estimation: a unified framework for covariance matrix estimation and PCA in large dimensions," ECON - Working Papers 105, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2013.
- Rubio, Francisco & Mestre, Xavier, 2011. "Spectral convergence for a general class of random matrices," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(5), pages 592-602, May.
- Paul, Debashis & Silverstein, Jack W., 2009. "No eigenvalues outside the support of the limiting empirical spectral distribution of a separable covariance matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 37-57, January.
- Pan, Guangming & Miao, Boqi & Jin, Baisuo, 2005. "Some limiting theorems of some random quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 151-157, December.
- Wang, Cheng & Yang, Jing & Miao, Baiqi & Cao, Longbing, 2013. "Identity tests for high dimensional data using RMT," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 128-137.
- Bai, Z.D. & Miao, Baiqi & Jin, Baisuo, 2007. "On limit theorem for the eigenvalues of product of two random matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 76-101, January.
- Dozier, R. Brent & Silverstein, Jack W., 2007. "On the empirical distribution of eigenvalues of large dimensional information-plus-noise-type matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 678-694, April.
- Guhlich, Matthias & Nagel, Jan & Dette, Holger, 2010. "Random block matrices generalizing the classical Jacobi and Laguerre ensembles," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(8), pages 1884-1897, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.