On the Empirical Distribution of Eigenvalues of a Class of Large Dimensional Random Matrices
AbstractA stronger result on the limiting distribution of the eigenvalues of random Hermitian matrices of the form A + XTX*, originally studied in Marcenko and Pastur, is presented. Here, X(N - n), T(n - n), and A(N - N) are independent, with X containing i.i.d. entries having finite second moments, T is diagonal with real (diagonal) entries, A is Hermitian, and n/N --> c > 0 as N --> [infinity]. Under additional assumptions on the eigenvalues of A and T, almost sure convergence of the empirical distribution function of the eigenvalues of A + XTX* is proven with the aid of Stieltjes transforms, taking a more direct approach than previous methods.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guhlich, Matthias & Nagel, Jan & Dette, Holger, 2010. "Random block matrices generalizing the classical Jacobi and Laguerre ensembles," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(8), pages 1884-1897, September.
- Pan, Guangming & Miao, Boqi & Jin, Baisuo, 2005. "Some limiting theorems of some random quadratic forms," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 151-157, December.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Spectrum estimation: a unified framework for covariance matrix estimation and PCA in large dimensions," ECON - Working Papers 105, Department of Economics - University of Zurich, revised Jul 2013.
- Paul, Debashis & Silverstein, Jack W., 2009. "No eigenvalues outside the support of the limiting empirical spectral distribution of a separable covariance matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 37-57, January.
- Dozier, R. Brent & Silverstein, Jack W., 2007. "On the empirical distribution of eigenvalues of large dimensional information-plus-noise-type matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(4), pages 678-694, April.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Laurent Laloux & M. Augusta Miceli & Marc Potters, 2005.
"Large dimension forecasting models and random singular value spectra,"
Science & Finance (CFM) working paper archive
500066, Science & Finance, Capital Fund Management.
- Jean-Philippe Bouchaud & Laurent Laloux & M. Augusta Miceli & Marc Potters, 2005. "Large dimension forecasting models and random singular value spectra," Papers physics/0512090, arXiv.org.
- Olivier Ledoit & Sandrine Péché, 2009. "Eigenvectors of some large sample covariance matrices ensembles," IEW - Working Papers 407, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bai, Z.D. & Zhang, L.X., 2010. "The limiting spectral distribution of the product of the Wigner matrix and a nonnegative definite matrix," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(9), pages 1927-1949, October.
- Olivier Ledoit & Michael Wolf, 2013. "Optimal estimation of a large-dimensional covariance matrix under Stein’s loss," ECON - Working Papers 122, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Bai, Z.D. & Miao, Baiqi & Jin, Baisuo, 2007. "On limit theorem for the eigenvalues of product of two random matrices," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 76-101, January.
- Rubio, Francisco & Mestre, Xavier, 2011. "Spectral convergence for a general class of random matrices," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(5), pages 592-602, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.