On the parametrization of autoregressive models by partial autocorrelations
AbstractOne of the difficulties that arise in the statistical analysis of autoregressive schemes is the very complex nature of the domain of the regression parameters. In the present paper we study an alternative parametrization of autoregressive models of finite order, namely the parametrization by the partial autocorrelations. These are shown to vary freely from -1 to +1 and to be in a one-to-one, continuously differentiable correspondence with the regression parameters. Properties of the asymptotic normal distribution of the maximum likelihood estimates are discussed, and we present a new deduction of Quenouille's result on the asymptotic independence of some of the estimated partial autocorrelations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 3 (1973)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013.
"The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications,"
CREATES Research Papers
2013-34, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Proietti, Tommaso & Luati, Alessandra, 2013. "The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications," MPRA Paper 45280, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tommaso Proietti & Alessandra Luati, 2013. "The Exponential Model for the Spectrum of a Time Series: Extensions and Applications," CEIS Research Paper 272, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 19 Apr 2013.
- Heikki Kauppi, 2008. "Yield-Curve Based Probit Models for Forecasting U.S. Recessions: Stability and Dynamics," Discussion Papers 31, Aboa Centre for Economics.
- McLeod, A.I. & Zhang, Y., 2008. "Faster ARMA maximum likelihood estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 2166-2176, January.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2007.
"Real-Time Measurement of Business Conditions,"
PIER Working Paper Archive
07-028, Penn Institute for Economic Research, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2007. "Real-time measurement of business conditions," International Finance Discussion Papers 901, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2008. "Real-Time Measurement of Business Conditions," NBER Working Papers 14349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & Chiara Scotti, 2008. "Real-time measurement of business conditions," Working Papers 08-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Chiara Scotti & S.Boragan Aruoba & Francis X. Diebold & University of Maryland, 2006. "Real-Time Measurement of Business Conditions," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 387, Society for Computational Economics.
- Wang, Wan-Lun & Fan, Tsai-Hung, 2010. "ECM-based maximum likelihood inference for multivariate linear mixed models with autoregressive errors," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(5), pages 1328-1341, May.
- A. Ian McLeod & Ying Zhang, . "Improved Subset Autoregression: With R Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 28(i02).
- Paroli, Roberta & Spezia, Luigi, 2008. "Bayesian inference in non-homogeneous Markov mixtures of periodic autoregressions with state-dependent exogenous variables," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 2311-2330, January.
- O. Anderson, 1976. "Some new Time Sdries results," Metrika, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 65-76, December.
- Maria Barbieri & Caterina Conigliani, 1998. "Bayesian analysis of autoregressive time series with change points," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 243-255, December.
- Shaman, Paul, 2010. "Generalized Levinson-Durbin sequences, binomial coefficients and autoregressive estimation," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(5), pages 1263-1273, May.
- Philippe, Anne, 2006. "Bayesian analysis of autoregressive moving average processes with unknown orders," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1904-1923, December.
- Bingham, N.H. & Inoue, Akihiko & Kasahara, Yukio, 2012. "An explicit representation of Verblunsky coefficients," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 403-410.
- Wang, Wan-Lun & Fan, Tsai-Hung, 2012. "Bayesian analysis of multivariate t linear mixed models using a combination of IBF and Gibbs samplers," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 300-310.
- Ku, Simon F., 1997. "Limited distribution of sample partial autocorrelations: A matrix approach," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 121-143, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.