Managing supplier involvement in product development:: Three critical issues
AbstractDespite some successes in involving suppliers early and intensively in product development within the automotive and electronics industries, many companies still experience substantial difficulties in managing this involvement. This article examines three related critical issues: (a) identifying specific processes and tasks for the broader area of purchasing involvement in product development; (b) forming an organisation that supports the execution of such tasks; and (c) staffing the organisation with people that have the right skills.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal European Management Journal.
Volume (Year): 19 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/115/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Echtelt, F.E.A. van & Wynstra, J.Y.F., 2002. "Managing Supplier Integration into Product Development: A Literature Review and Conceptual Model," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 02.03, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Ki H. Kang & Jina Kang, 2009. "Does Partner Type Matter in R&D Collaboration for Product Innovation?," TEMEP Discussion Papers 200906, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Aug 2009.
- Echtelt van, F. & Wynstra, J.Y.F. & Weele van, A. & Duysters, G.M., 2004. "Critical processes for managing supplier involvement in new product development: an in-depth multiple-case study�," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 04.07, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Gupta, Abhishek & Pawar, Kulwant S. & Smart, Palie, 2007. "New product development in the pharmaceutical and telecommunication industries: A comparative study," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 41-60, March.
- Peeters, T.J.G., 2013. "External knowledge search and use in new product development," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-5906731, Tilburg University.
- Araz, Ceyhun & Ozkarahan, Irem, 2007. "Supplier evaluation and management system for strategic sourcing based on a new multicriteria sorting procedure," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 585-606, April.
- Gunnar Pippel, 2013. "Does Partner Type Matter in R&D Collaboration for Environmental Innovation?," IWH Discussion Papers 5, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Vos, J.P., 2003. "Observing Suppliers observing Early Supplier Involvement: An Empirical Research based upon the Social Systems Theory of Niklas Luhmann," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 03.09, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Jose Maria Cubillo-Pinilla, 2003. "Entrepreneurship and performance around MNC affiliates," Economics Working Papers we033012, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- van Echtelt, F.E.A. & Wynstra, J.Y.F. & van Weele, A.J. & Duysters, G.M., 2006. "Managing Supplier Involvement in New Product Development: A Multiple-Case Study," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2006-047-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.