Intradaily dynamic portfolio selection
AbstractA portfolio selection model which allocates a portfolio of currencies by maximizing the expected return subject to Value-at-Risk (VaR) constraint is designed and implemented. Based on an econometric implementation using intradaily data, the optimal portfolio allocation is forecasted at regular time intervals. For the estimation of the conditional variance from which the VaR is computed, univariate and multivariate GARCH models are used. Model evaluation is done using two economic criteria and two statistical tests. The result for each model is given by the best forecasted intradaily investment recommendations in terms of the optimal weights of the currencies in the risky portfolio. The results show that estimating the VaR from multivariate GARCH models improves the results of the forecasted optimal portfolio allocation, compared to using a univariate model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Computational Statistics & Data Analysis.
Volume (Year): 54 (2010)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/csda
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul H. Kupiec, 1995. "Techniques for verifying the accuracy of risk measurement models," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 95-24, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Zhang, Zhengjun & Huang, James, 2006. "Extremal financial risk models and portfolio evaluation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2313-2338, December.
- Jon Danielsson & Richard Payne, 1999.
"Real Trading Patterns and Prices in Spot Foreign Exchange Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp320, Financial Markets Group.
- Danielsson, J. & Payne, R., 2002. "Real trading patterns and prices in spot foreign exchange markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 203-222, April.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean-Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228.
- Gourieroux, C. & Jasiak, J. & Sufana, R., 2009.
"The Wishart Autoregressive process of multivariate stochastic volatility,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 150(2), pages 167-181, June.
- Joan Jasiak & R. Sufana & C. Gourieroux, 2005. "The Wishart Autoregressive Process of Multivariate Stochastic Volatility," Working Papers 2005_2, York University, Department of Economics.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- Lo, Andrew W. & Craig MacKinlay, A., 1990.
"An econometric analysis of nonsynchronous trading,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 181-211.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1991. "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsynchronous Trading," NBER Working Papers 2960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, . "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsyschronous-Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Campbell, Rachel & Huisman, Ronald & Koedijk, Kees, 2001. "Optimal portfolio selection in a Value-at-Risk framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(9), pages 1789-1804, September.
- William F. Sharpe, 1964. "Capital Asset Prices: A Theory Of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions Of Risk," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 19(3), pages 425-442, 09.
- Andersen, Torben G. & Bollerslev, Tim, 1997. "Intraday periodicity and volatility persistence in financial markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(2-3), pages 115-158, June.
- Tse, Y K & Tsui, Albert K C, 2002. "A Multivariate Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Model with Time-Varying Correlations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(3), pages 351-62, July.
- Neil Shephard & Kevin Sheppard & Robert F. Engle, 2008.
"Fitting vast dimensional time-varying covariance models,"
Economics Series Working Papers
403, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Robert Engle & Neil Shephard & Kevin Shepphard, 2008. "Fitting vast dimensional time-varying covariance models," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe30, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, 2003.
"News announcements, market activity and volatility in the Euro/Dollar foreign exchange market,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003029, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Ben Omrane, Walid & Giot, Pierre, 2005. "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(7), pages 1108-1125, November.
- BAUWENS, Luc & BEN OMRANE, Walid & GIOT, Pierre, . "News announcements, market activity and volatility in the euro/dollar foreign exchange market," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1787, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Goodhart, C. A. E. & Figliuoli, L., 1991. "Every minute counts in financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 23-52, March.
- Kostas Giannopoulos & Ephraim Clark & Radu Tunaru, 2005. "Portfolio selection under VaR constraints," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 123-138, 03.
- Goeij, P. C. de & Marquering, W., 2004. "Modeling the conditional covariance between stock and bond returns: A multivariate GARCH approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-194709, Tilburg University.
- Boudt, Kris & Cornelissen, Jonathan & Croux, Christophe, 2012. "Jump robust daily covariance estimation by disentangling variance and correlation components," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 2993-3005.
- Guidolin, Massimo & Hyde, Stuart, 2012. "Simple VARs cannot approximate Markov switching asset allocation decisions: An out-of-sample assessment," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3546-3566.
- Rachidi Kotchoni, 2012.
"Applications of the Characteristic Function Based Continuum GMM in Finance,"
- Kotchoni, Rachidi, 2012. "Applications of the characteristic function-based continuum GMM in finance," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(11), pages 3599-3622.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.