Causality and forecasting in temporally aggregated multivariate GARCH processes
AbstractThis paper discusses the effects of temporal aggregation on causality and forecasting in multivariate GARCH processes. It is shown that spurious instantaneous causality in variance will only appear in degenerated cases, but that spurious Granger causality will be more common. For forecasting volatility, it is generally advisable to aggregate forecasts of the disaggregate series rather than forecasting the aggregated series directly, and unlike for vector autoregressive moving average (VARMA) processes, the advantage does not diminish for large forecast horizons. Results are derived for the distribution of multivariate realized volatility if the high-frequency process follows multivariate GARCH. A numerical example illustrates some of the results. Copyright The Author(s). Journal compilation Royal Economic Society 2009
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal Econometrics Journal.
Volume (Year): 12 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (03)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomasz Wozniak, 2012. "Granger-causal analysis of VARMA-GARCH models," Economics Working Papers ECO2012/19, European University Institute.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2004.
"Temporal aggregation of multivariate GARCH processes,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Winter Meetings
538, Econometric Society.
- Hafner, Christian M., 2008. "Temporal aggregation of multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 467-483, January.
- Hafner, C.M., 2004. "Temporal aggregation of multivariate GARCH processes," Econometric Institute Research Papers EI 2004-29, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Hui Jun ZHANG & Jean-Marie DUFOUR & John W. GALBRAITH, 2013. "Exchange Rates and Commodity Prices : Measuring Causality at Multiple Horizons," Cahiers de recherche 14-2013, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.