Limited Information and Advertising in the U.S. Personal Computer Industry
AbstractTraditional discrete-choice models assume buyers are aware of all products for sale. In markets where products change rapidly, the full information assumption is untenable. I present a discrete-choice model of limited consumer information, where advertising influences the set of products from which consumers choose to purchase. I apply the model to the U.S. personal computer market where top firms spend over $2 billion annually on advertising. I find estimated markups of 19% over production costs, where top firms advertise more than average and earn higher than average markups. High markups are explained to a large extent by informational asymmetries across consumers, where full information models predict markups of one-fourth the magnitude. I find that estimated product demand curves are biased toward being too elastic under traditional models. I show how to use data on media exposure to improve estimated price elasticities in the absence of micro ad data. Copyright 2008 The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 76 (2008)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Robert Clark & Jason Allen & Jean-Francois Houde, 2010. "Price negotiation in differentiated product markets: An analysis of the market for insured mortgages in Canada," 2010 Meeting Papers 1072, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Zenetti, German, 2010. "A Note on 'Bayesian analysis of the random coefficient model using aggregate data', an alternative approach," MPRA Paper 26449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew Ching & Fumiko Hayashi, 2006.
"Payment card rewards programs and consumer payment choice,"
Payments System Research Working Paper
PSR WP 06-02, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Ching, Andrew T. & Hayashi, Fumiko, 2010. "Payment card rewards programs and consumer payment choice," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1773-1787, August.
- Ching, Andrew & Hayashi, Fumiko, 2008. "Payment Card Rewards Programs and Consumer Payment Choice," MPRA Paper 8458, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Yusufcan Masatlioglu & Daisuke Nakajima & Erkut Y. Ozbay, 2012.
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(5), pages 2183-2205, August.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Susan J. Méndez & Thomas Rønde & Hannes Ullrich, 2013.
" Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark,"
330, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Méndez, Susan J. & Rønde, Thomas & Ullrich, Hannes, 2013. "Regulation of Pharmaceutical Prices: Evidence from a Reference Price Reform in Denmark," IZA Discussion Papers 7248, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nejat Anbarci & Ching-jen Sun, 2009.
"Robustness of Intermediate Agreements and Bargaining Solutions,"
2009_14, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Anbarci, Nejat & Sun, Ching-jen, 2013. "Robustness of intermediate agreements and bargaining solutions," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 367-376.
- Nejat Anbarci & Ching-jen Sun, 2012. "Robustness of Intermediate Agreements and Bargaining Solutions," Economics Series 2012_7, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Pedro Bordalo & Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer, 2010.
"Salience and consumer choice,"
Economics Working Papers
1252, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised May 2012.
- Pedro Bordalo & Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer, 2012. "Salience and Consumer Choice," Working Papers 463, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Pedro Bordalo & Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer, 2012. "Salience and Consumer Choice," NBER Working Papers 17947, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedro Bordado & Nicola Gennaioli & Andrei Shleifer, 2012. "Salience and Consumer Choice," Working Papers 501, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Sofronis Clerides & Pascal Courty, 2010.
"Sales, Quantity Surcharge, and Consumer Inattention,"
Working Paper Series
32_10, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Sofronis Clerides & Pascal Courty, 2010. "Sales, Quantity Surcharge, and Consumer Inattention," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 07-2010, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
- Clerides, Sofronis & Courty, Pascal, 2010. "Sales, Quantity Surcharge, and Consumer Inattention," CEPR Discussion Papers 8115, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andreas M. Hefti, 2011. "Attention competition," ECON - Working Papers 028, Department of Economics - University of Zurich.
- Jason Allen & Robert Clark & Jean-François Houde, 2012. "Price Negotiation in Differentiated Products Markets: Evidence from the Canadian Mortgage Market," Working Papers 12-30, Bank of Canada.
- Czajkowski, Mikołaj & Hanley, Nick & LaRiviere, Jacob, 2013. "The effects of experience on preference uncertainty: theory and empirics for environmental goods," 2013 Conference (57th), February 5-8, 2013, Sydney, Australia 152155, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- C. Clark & Ulrich Doraszelski & Michaela Draganska, 2009. "The effect of advertising on brand awareness and perceived quality: An empirical investigation using panel data," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 207-236, June.
- Sina Henningsen & Rebecca Heuke & Michel Clement, 2011. "Determinants of Advertising Effectiveness: The Development of an International Advertising Elasticity Database and a Meta-Analysis," BuR - Business Research, German Academic Association for Business Research, vol. 4(2), pages 193-239, December.
- Paris Cleanthous, 2011. "Welfare Effects of Pharmaceutical Informative Advertising," University of Cyprus Working Papers in Economics 02-2011, University of Cyprus Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.