Testing for Regime Switching
AbstractWe analyze use of a quasi-likelihood ratio statistic for a mixture model to test the null hypothesis of one regime versus the alternative of two regimes in a Markov regime-switching context. This test exploits mixture properties implied by the regime-switching process, but ignores certain implied serial correlation properties. When formulated in the natural way, the setting is nonstandard, involving nuisance parameters on the boundary of the parameter space, nuisance parameters identified only under the alternative, or approximations using derivatives higher than second order. We exploit recent advances by Andrews (2001) and contribute to the literature by extending the scope of mixture models, obtaining asymptotic null distributions different from those in the literature. We further provide critical values for popular models or bounds for tail probabilities that are useful in constructing conservative critical values for regime-switching tests. We compare the size and power of our statistics to other useful tests for regime switching via Monte Carlo methods and find relatively good performance. We apply our methods to reexamine the classic cartel study of Porter (1983) and reaffirm Porter's findings. Copyright The Econometric Society 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 75 (2007)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hiroyuki Kasahara & Katsumi Shimotsu, 2012.
"Testing the Number of Components in Finite Mixture Models,"
CIRJE-F-867, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Kasahara Hiroyuki & Shimotsu Katsumi, 2012. "Testing the Number of Components in Finite Mixture Models," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd12-259, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Ano Sujithan, Kuhanathan, 2013. "The links between some European financial factors and the BRICS credit default swap spreads," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11721, Paris Dauphine University.
- Peter Christoffersen & Bruno Feunou & Kris Jacobs & Nour Meddahi, 2012. "The Economic Value of Realized Volatility: Using High-Frequency Returns for Option Valuation," Working Papers 12-34, Bank of Canada.
- Steigerwald, Douglas & Carter, Andrew, 2011. "Markov Regime-Switching Tests: Asymptotic Critical Values," University of California at Santa Barbara, Economics Working Paper Series qt5rn986z6, Department of Economics, UC Santa Barbara.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Idier, Julien, 2012. "The impact of unconventional monetary policy on the market for collateral: The case of the French bond market," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11155, Paris Dauphine University.
- Andrew Ang & Allan Timmermann, 2011.
"Regime Changes and Financial Markets,"
NBER Working Papers
17182, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kyu Lee Shin & Jin Seo Cho, 2013. "Testing for Neglected Nonlinearity Using Extreme Learning Machines," Working papers 2013rwp-57, Yonsei University, Yonsei Economics Research Institute.
- Avouyi-Dovi, S. & Idier, J., 2011.
"The impact of unconventional monetary policy on the market for collateral: The case of the French bond market,"
339, Banque de France.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Idier, Julien, 2012. "The impact of unconventional monetary policy on the market for collateral: The case of the French bond market," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 428-438.
- Jin Seo Cho & Meng Huang & Halbert White, 2009. "Testing for a Constant Mean Function using Functional Regression," Discussion Paper Series 0915, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Jin Seo Cho & Halbert White, 2009.
"Testing for Unobserved Heterogeneity in Exponential and Weibull Duration Models,"
Discussion Paper Series
0912, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Cho, Jin Seo & White, Halbert, 2010. "Testing for unobserved heterogeneity in exponential and Weibull duration models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(2), pages 458-480, August.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2011.
"Goodness-of-fit testing for the marginal distribution of regime-switching models,"
32532, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Janczura, Joanna & Weron, Rafal, 2010. "Goodness-of-fit testing for regime-switching models," MPRA Paper 22871, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Xiaohong Chen & Maria Ponomareva & Elie Tamer, 2013.
"Likelihood Inference in Some Finite Mixture Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1895, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Xiaohong Chen & Maria Ponomareva & Elie Tamer, 2013. "Likelihood inference in some finite mixture models," CeMMAP working papers CWP19/13, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2012. "Global imbalances, cross-market linkages, and the financial crisis: A multivariate Markov-switching analysis," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 943-973.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Ano Sujithan, Kuhanathan, . "The links between some European financial factors and the BRICS credit default swap spreads," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/11721, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Avouyi-Dovi, Sanvi & Idier, Julien, 2012. "The impact of unconventional monetary policy on the market for collateral: The case of the French bond market," Open Access publications from UniversitÃ© Paris-Dauphine urn:hdl:123456789/11155, Université Paris-Dauphine.
- Huang, Yu-Lieh, 2012. "Measuring business cycles: A temporal disaggregation model with regime switching," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 283-290.
- Girardin, Eric & Moussa, Zakaria, 2011. "Quantitative easing works: Lessons from the unique experience in Japan 2001â2006," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 461-495, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.