Testing for Parameter Constancy in Linear Regressions: An Empirical Distribution Function Approach
AbstractThis paper proposes some tests for parameter constancy in linear regressions. The tests use weighted empirical distribution functions of estimated residuals and are asymptotically distribution free. The proposed tests have nontrivial local power against a wide range of alternatives. In particular, the tests are capable of detecting error heterogeneity that is not necessarily manifested in the form of changing variances. The model allows for both dynamic and trending regressors. As an intermediate result, some weak convergence for (stochastically) weighted sequential empirical processes is established. Copyright 1996 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 64 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Jamie Emerson & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Testing for Structural Change of a Time Trend Regression in Panel Data," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 15, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Stute, Winfried, .
"Distribution-free specification tests of conditional models,"
Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid
info:hdl:10016/2495, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Stute, Winfried, 2008. "Distribution-free specification tests of conditional models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Hinich, Melvin J. & Foster, John & Wild, Phillip, 2006. "Structural change in macroeconomic time series: A complex systems perspective," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 136-150, March.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 2001.
"Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1555-1596, November.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 1998.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Near Unit Root,"
Departmental Working Papers
9821, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Jin Seo Cho & Halbert White, 2009.
"Generalized Runs Test for the IID Hypothesis,"
Discussion Paper Series
0913, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Gebrenegus Ghilagaber, 2004. "Another Look at Chow's Test for the Equality of Two Heteroscedastic Regression Models," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 81-93, February.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming, 1998. "Tests for changes in models with a polynomial trend," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 75-91, May.
- Zhongjun Qu & Jungmo Yoon, 2011. "Nonparametric Estimation and Inference on Conditional Quantile Processes," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-059, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Su, Liangjun & Xiao, Zhijie, 2008. "Testing for parameter stability in quantile regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2768-2775, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.