Testing for Parameter Constancy in Linear Regressions: An Empirical Distribution Function Approach
AbstractThis paper proposes some tests for parameter constancy in linear regressions. The tests use weighted empirical distribution functions of estimated residuals and are asymptotically distribution free. The proposed tests have nontrivial local power against a wide range of alternatives. In particular, the tests are capable of detecting error heterogeneity that is not necessarily manifested in the form of changing variances. The model allows for both dynamic and trending regressors. As an intermediate result, some weak convergence for (stochastically) weighted sequential empirical processes is established. Copyright 1996 by The Econometric Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Econometric Society in its journal Econometrica.
Volume (Year): 64 (1996)
Issue (Month): 3 (May)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhongjun Qu & Jungmo Yoon, 2011. "Nonparametric Estimation and Inference on Conditional Quantile Processes," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2011-059, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Mehmet Caner & Bruce E. Hansen, 2001.
"Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1555-1596, November.
- Shinn-Juh Lin & Jian Yang, 2000. "Testing Shifts in Financial Models with Conditional Heteroskedasticity: An Empirical Distribution Function Approach," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0063, Econometric Society.
- Oka, Tatsushi & Qu, Zhongjun, 2011.
"Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 248-267, June.
- Zhongjun Qu & Tatsushi Oka, 2010. "Estimating structural changes in regression quantiles," Boston University - Department of Economics - Working Papers Series WP2010-052, Boston University - Department of Economics.
- Juhl, Ted & Xiao, Zhijie, 2005. "A nonparametric test for changing trends," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(2), pages 179-199, August.
- Kuan, Chung-Ming, 1998. "Tests for changes in models with a polynomial trend," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 75-91, May.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Stute, Winfried, 2008. "Distribution-free specification tests of conditional models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Bai, Jushan & Ng, Serena, 2001. "A consistent test for conditional symmetry in time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 103(1-2), pages 225-258, July.
- Jamie Emerson & Chihwa Kao, 2000. "Testing for Structural Change of a Time Trend Regression in Panel Data," Center for Policy Research Working Papers 15, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Caner,M. & Hansen,B.E., 1998.
"Threshold autoregression with a near unit root,"
27, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Su, Liangjun & Xiao, Zhijie, 2008. "Testing for parameter stability in quantile regression models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(16), pages 2768-2775, November.
- Yang, Jian, 2001. "Structural change tests under regression misspecifications," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 70(3), pages 311-317, March.
- Li, Dong & Li, Qi, 2010. "Nonparametric/semiparametric estimation and testing of econometric models with data dependent smoothing parameters," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 157(1), pages 179-190, July.
- Gebrenegus Ghilagaber, 2004. "Another Look at Chow's Test for the Equality of Two Heteroscedastic Regression Models," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 81-93, February.
- Jin Seo Cho & Halbert White, 2009.
"Generalized Runs Test for the IID Hypothesis,"
Discussion Paper Series
0913, Institute of Economic Research, Korea University.
- Hinich, Melvin J. & Foster, John & Wild, Phillip, 2006. "Structural change in macroeconomic time series: A complex systems perspective," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 136-150, March.
- Delgado, Miguel A. & Farinas, Jose C. & Ruano, Sonia, 2002. "Firm productivity and export markets: a non-parametric approach," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 397-422, August.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.