Optimal Choices under Uncertainty: The Case of Two-Argument Utility Functions
AbstractThis paper presents a unified treatment for the analysis of two-argument utility functions with a random budget constraint. The way in which changes in both additive and multiplicative risk affect optimal choices has been analyzed prov iding intuitive economic explanations to third order magnitudes which usually appear in this kind of analysis. Two examples are given in t erms of optimal savings and labor supply under uncertainty. Finally, an application to taxation under uncertainty is given, where both the effects of increased tax progressivity and the rules for efficient t axation are analyzed. Copyright 1988 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 98 (1988)
Issue (Month): 391 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Béatrice Rey & Harris Schlesinger, 2007.
"A Good Sign for Multivariate Risk Taking,"
INFORMS, vol. 53(1), pages 117-124, January.
- Louis Eeckhoudt & Béatrice Rey & Harris Schlesinger, 2006. "A Good Sign for Multivariate Risk Taking," CESifo Working Paper Series 1796, CESifo Group Munich.
- EECKHOUDT, louis & REY, Béatrice & SCHLESINGER, Harris, . "A good sign for multivariate risk taking," CORE Discussion Papers RP -1900, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- O'Donnell, Owen, 1995. "Labour supply and saving decisions with uncertainty over sickness," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 491-504, October.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp & Diego Nocetti, 2013.
"Economic consequences of Nth-degree risk increases and Nth-degree risk attitudes,"
Journal of Risk and Uncertainty,
Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 199-224, October.
- Nocetti, Diego & Napp, Clotilde & Jouini, Elyès, 2012. "Economic Consequences of Nth-Degree Risk Increases and Nth-Degree Risk Attitudes," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11094, Paris Dauphine University.
- Elyès Jouini & Clotilde Napp & Diego Nocetti, 2013. "Economic Consequences of Nth-Degree Risk Increases and Nth-Degree Risk Attitudes," Post-Print halshs-00927270, HAL.
- Thomas Aronsson & Sören Blomquist, 2003. "On Environmental Taxation under Uncertain Environmental Damage," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 24(2), pages 183-196, February.
- Jouini, Elyès & Napp, Clotilde & Nocetti, Diego, 2013. "Economic consequences of Nth-degree risk increases and Nth-degree risk attitudes," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12392, Paris Dauphine University.
- John Quiggin, 2001. "Production under Uncertainty and Choice under Uncertainty in the Emergence of Generalized Expected Utility Theory," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 125-144, December.
- John C. Quiggin, 1991.
"Contradictory Predictions On Supply Response Under Stabilization: A Reconciliation,"
Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 35(3), pages 285-294, December.
- Quiggin, John C., 1991. "Contradictory Predictions On Supply Response Under Stabilization: A Reconciliation," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 35(03), December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.