Convenience Yield without the Convenience: A Spatial-Temporal Interpretation of Storage under Backwardation
AbstractA mathematical programming model of the wheat marketing system of Western Australia manifests a typical pattern of regionwide stocks held at a negative intertemporal spread measured at the port. No stocks are held at a monetary loss in terms of local prices. Any apparent loss is an illusion from spatial aggregation of stocks and attribution of incentives at one locality to storers at all locations. Moreover, as the premium for immediate delivery at the port rises, stocks increase at relatively inaccessible, inconvenient locations where prices are low, allowing more to be shipped from locations more convenient to the port. Copyright 1997 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 107 (1997)
Issue (Month): 443 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yoon, Byung-Sam & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2002.
"Market Inversion In Commodity Futures Prices,"
Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(03), December.
- Yoon, Byung-Sam & Brorsen, B. Wade, 2001. "Market Inversion In Commodity Futures Prices," 2001 Conference, April 23-24, 2001, St. Louis, Missouri 18962, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Wright, Brian, 2009.
"International grain reserves and other instruments to address volatility in grain markets,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5028, The World Bank.
- Brian D. Wright, 2012. "International Grain Reserves And Other Instruments to Address Volatility in Grain Markets," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 27(2), pages 222-260, August.
- Andrew Coleman, 2007. "A model of spatial arbitrage with transport capacity constraints and endogenous transport prices," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2007/05, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Prabhat Vaze, 2004. "A Model of Inter-Regional Trade in Grains with Storage," ESE Discussion Papers 10, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Zimmerman, Frederick J. & Carter, Michael R., 2003.
"Asset smoothing, consumption smoothing and the reproduction of inequality under risk and subsistence constraints,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 233-260, August.
- Frederic Zimmerman & MICHAEL R. CARTER, . "Asset Smoothing, Consumption Smoothing and the Reproduction for Inequality under Risk and Subsistence Constraints," Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Staff Papers 402, Wisconsin-Madison Agricultural and Applied Economics Department.
- Andrew Coleman, 2007. "The pitfalls of estimating transactions costs from price data: evidence from trans-Atlantic gold-point arbitrage, 1886-1905," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2007/07, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Frechette, Darren L., 1999. "The Supply Of Storage Under Heterogeneous Expectations," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 31(03), December.
- Lautier, Delphine, 2009. "Convenience Yield and Commodity Markets," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/2274, Paris Dauphine University.
- Carter, Colin A., 1999. "Commodity futures markets: a survey," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 43(2).
- Carter, Colin A. & Revoredo-Giha, Cesar, 2000.
"The Interaction of Working and Speculative Commodity Stocks,"
2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL
21820, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Carter, C.A & Cesar L. Revoredo Giha, 2005. "The Interaction of Working and Speculative Commodity Stocks," Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers 03.2005, University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics, revised 2005.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Garcia, Philip & Irwin, Scott H., 2006. "Do Interest Rates Explain Disaggregate Commodity Price Growth?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21319, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Andrew Coleman, 2008. "Storage Under Backwardation: A Direct Test of the Wright-Williams Conjecture," Working Papers 08_13, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Power, Gabriel J. & Turvey, Calum G., 2008. "On Term Structure Models of Commodity Futures Prices and the Kaldor-Working Hypothesis," 2008 Conference, April 21-22, 2008, St. Louis, Missouri 37608, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Larson, Donald F. & Sarris, Alexander, 2009. "The performance of Bulgarian food markets during reform," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4876, The World Bank.
- Seamon, V. Frederick & Kahl, Kandice H. & Curtis, Charles E., Jr., 2001. "Regional And Seasonal Differences In The Cotton Basis," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 19(2).
- Colin A. Carter & Gordon C. Rausser & Aaron Smith, 2011. "Commodity Booms and Busts," Annual Review of Resource Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 3(1), pages 87-118, October.
- Cesar Revoredo, 2000. "On The Solution Of The Dynamic Rational Expectations Commodity Storage Model In The Presence Of Stockholding By Speculators And Processors," Computing in Economics and Finance 2000 42, Society for Computational Economics.
- Arndt, Channing & Schiller, Rico & Philipsen, Annelotte, 1998. "Maize Markets And Rural Storage In Mozambique: A Spatial And Temporal Analysis," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20991, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Anderson, Duncan J. & Jack, Claire G., 2011. "Developing the Spatial Dimension of Farm Business Models," 85th Annual Conference, April 18-20, 2011, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 108782, Agricultural Economics Society.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.