Free Trade: Old and New Challenges
AbstractThis paper analyzes the old and new challenges to the theory and policy of free trade. The old challenges have sought to undermine the case for free trade by citing one or another type of market imperfection. Thus, the postwar period has seen two such challenges: factor market imperfections were analyzed in the 1950s to 1970s, product market imperfections in the 1980s. The new challenges are twofold. One comes from the demands for fair trade as a precondition for free trade; the other from the concern that free trade, while efficient, immiserizes the unskilled in the richer countries. Copyright 1994 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 104 (1994)
Issue (Month): 423 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik, 2003.
"Does free trade really reduce growth? Further testing using the economic freedom index,"
Ratio Working Papers
25, The Ratio Institute.
- Niclas Berggren & Henrik Jordahl, 2005. "Does free trade really reduce growth? Further testing using the economic freedom index," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 122(1), pages 99-114, January.
- Berggren, Niclas & Jordahl, Henrik, 2003. "Does Free Trade Really Reduce Growth? Further Testing Using the Economic Freedom Index," Working Paper Series 2003:26, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Bengoa, Marta & Sanchez-Robles, Blanca, 2005. "Policy shocks as a source of endogenous growth," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 249-261, March.
- Walde, Klaus & Wei[ss], Pia, 2007. "International competition, downsizing and wage inequality," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 396-406, November.
- Singh, Ajit, 2007. "Globalization and Industrial Revolutions in India and China: Implications for Advanced and Developing Economies and for National and International Policies," MPRA Paper 24286, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Elvira Sapienza, 2009. "FDI and Growth in Central and Southern Eastern Europe," Quaderni DSEMS 12-2009, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche, Matematiche e Statistiche, Universita' di Foggia.
- Zeshan Atique & Mohsin Hasnain Ahmad & Usman Azhar, 2004. "The Impact of FDI on Economic Growth under Foreign Trade Regimes: A Case Study of Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 43(4), pages 707-718.
- Wälde, Klaus & Wood, Christina, 2000.
"The empirics of trade and growth: Where are the policy recommendations?,"
Dresden Discussion Paper Series in Economics
09/00, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Business and Economics, Department of Economics.
- Klaus WÃ¤lde & Christina Wood, 2004. "The empirics of trade and growth: where are the policy recommendations?," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 275-292, January.
- Klaus, WAELDE & Christina, WOOD, 2004. "The Empirics of Trade and Growth : Where are the Policy Recommendations ?," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 2004013, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Klaus W�lde & Christina Wood, 2004. "The empirics of trade and growth: where are the policy recommendations?," European Economy - Economic Papers 204, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Meilke, Karl D. & McClatchy, Don & de Gorter, Harry, 1995.
"Challenges In Quantitative Economic Analysis In Support Of Multilateral Trade Negotiations,"
51215, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Meilke, Karl D. & McClatchy, Don & Gorter, Harry de, 1996. "Challenges in quantitative economic analysis in support of multilateral trade negotiations," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 14(3), pages 185-200, August.
- Guerriero, Marta & Sen, Kunal, 2012. "What Determines the Share of Labour in National Income? A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 6643, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pierre Jacquet & Patrick Messerlin & Laurence Tubiana, 1999. "Le cycle du millénaire," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/8543, Sciences Po.
- Silvia Gómez Soler, 2012. "Organized Crime, Foreign Investment and Economic Growth," REVISTA ECONOMÍA & REGIÓN, UNIVERSIDAD TECNOLÓGICA DE BOLÍVAR.
- Singh, Ajit, 2007. "Globalisation, industrial revolutions in India and China and labour markets in advanced countries : implications for national and international economic policy," ILO Working Papers 397934, International Labour Organization.
- Janssens, S & Konings, Joep, 1999. "How do western firms respond to the opening of Central and Eastern Europe? Evidence from a small open economy--Belgium," Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven urn:hdl:123456789/119072, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Do, Quy-Toan & Levchenko, Andrei A., 2004. "Trade and financial development," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3347, The World Bank.
- Klaus Waelde & Pia Weiss, 2004. "International Competition, Slim Firms and Wage Inequality," CESifo Working Paper Series 1254, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yao, Shujie & Wei, Kailei, 2007. "Economic growth in the presence of FDI: The perspective of newly industrialising economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 211-234, March.
- Kohpaiboon, Archanun, 2006. "Foreign direct investment and technology spillover: A cross-industry analysis of Thai manufacturing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 541-556, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.