Sufficient Conditions for Expected Utility to Imply Mean-Standard Deviation Rankings: Empirical Evidence Concerning the Location and Scale Condition
AbstractThis paper presents and implements a procedure which examines for empirical support for the location and scale condition. The Kolmogorov-Smirnov multisample test is used to determine if the distribution functions describing the nonsystematic risk component of rate of return for portfolios of common stock are equal to one another except for location and scale. Implications concerning the relationship between mean-variance and expected utility efficient sets are noted. Copyright 1992 by Royal Economic Society.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Royal Economic Society in its journal The Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 102 (1992)
Issue (Month): 410 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Schuhmacher, Frank & Eling, Martin, 2012. "A decision-theoretic foundation for reward-to-risk performance measures," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2077-2082.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose Antonio & Riesgo, Laura & Arriaza Balmon, Manuel, 2002. "Agricultural Risk Aversion Revisited: A Multicriteria Decision-Making Approach," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24827, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gomez-Limon, Jose A. & Arriaza, Manuel & Riesgo, Laura, 2003. "An MCDM analysis of agricultural risk aversion," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 151(3), pages 569-585, December.
- Erwin Bulte & Joost Pennings, 1997.
"A Note on Overfishing, Fishing Rights and Futures Markets,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 327-335, December.
- Bulte, E.H. & Pennings, J.M.E., 1997. "A note on overfishing, fishing rights and futures markets," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153755, Tilburg University.
- Richard D. Farmer, 2006. "Risk-Smoothing Across Time and the Demand for Inventories: A Mean-Variance Approach," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 699-722, Fall.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Isengildina, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2004. "The Impact Of Marketing Advisory Service Recommendations On Producers' Marketing Decisions," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20389, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Thomas Eichner & Andreas Wagener, 2011. "Portfolio allocation and asset demand with mean-variance preferences," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 179-193, February.
- Kuwornu, John K.M. & Kuiper, W. Erno & Pennings, Joost M.E. & Meulenberg, Matthew T.G., 2005. "Incentive Provision and Coordination Costs in Food-Marketing Channels: A Multi-Stage Channel-Agency Theory Perspective," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 36(01), March.
- Nelson, Carl H. & Ndjeunga, Jupiter, 1997. "Elliptical Symmetry, Expected Utility, And Mean-Variance Analysis," ACE Reports 14795, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Ford, Stephen A. & Ford, Beth Pride & Spreen, Thomas H., 1995. "Evaluation Of Alternative Risk Specifications In Farm Programming Models," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 24(1), April.
- Rodt, Marc & Schäfer, Klaus, 2005. "Absicherung von Strompreisrisiken mit Futures: Theorie und Empirie," Freiberg Working Papers 2005,18, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Schuster, Martin & Auer, Benjamin R., 2012. "A note on empirical Sharpe ratio dynamics," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(1), pages 124-128.
- Pennings, Joost M.E. & Isengildina, Olga & Irwin, Scott H. & Good, Darrel L., 2004. "The Impact of Market Advisory Service Recommendations on Producers' Marketing Decisions," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 29(02), August.
- Joost M.E. Pennings & Raymond M. Leuthold, 1999. "Futures Exchange Innovations: Reinforcement versus Cannibalism," Finance 9905003, EconWPA.
- Homm, Ulrich & Pigorsch, Christian, 2012. "Beyond the Sharpe ratio: An application of the Aumann–Serrano index to performance measurement," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2274-2284.
- Perez-Mesa, Juan Carlos & Galdeano-Gomez, Emilio & Aznar-Sanchez, Jose A., 2011. "Management System for Harvest Scheduling: The Case of Horticultural Production in Southeast Spain," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 14(4).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.