Are Knowledge Intensive Business Services always so Efficient as they Are Said to? An Empirical Approach of KIBS in a Peripheral Region
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to analyse the efficiency in knowledge intensive business services, also known by their acronym KIBS. The firms belonging to this sector are said to have high efficiency degrees due to their specialisation. Nevertheless, some authors claim that high efficiency scores only work for those firms located in central nodes of development. Within this context we analyse KIBS efficiency in a Spanish peripheral region. Results show important differences in efficiency levels between KIBS firms as well as a low average for the whole of these activities. These findings may imply differential externalisation gains for subcontracting firms, reinforcing, at the same time, the idea of the effect of spatial concentration over KIBS efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Regional and Sectoral Economic Studies.
Volume (Year): 5 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L84 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Personal, Professional, and Business Services
- L87 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Postal and Delivery Services
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R19 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Other
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Rubiera Morollón, Fernando & Gómez Loscos, Ana & Pardos, Eva, 2010. "The effects of KIBS outsourcing on Aragon firms’ efficiency/Efectos de la externalización de servicios a empresas intensivos en conocimiento sobre la eficiencia de las empresas en Aragón," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 205 (22 pÃ¡, Abril.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.