The Economic Losses Due to Drinking Water Impurity: A Revealed Preference Analysis in Kolkata, India
AbstractSupply of water of desirable quality yields a range of benefits to households by reducing averting expenditure and expenditure on treating illness. The sum of these expenditures can be used as a measure of the costs that the society bears due to undesirable quality of water. The present paper uses household production function approach to formulate a structural model of averting behaviour and illness. The mathematical model is used to empirically estimate the total losses borne by households of Kolkata on averting activities and waterborne illness. The factors explaining variation in averting expenditure and cost of illness were separately investigated.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, Delhi School of Economics in its journal Indian Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 44 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Delhi, Delhi 110 007
Phone: 91-11-2766-6533/34/35, 2766-6703/04/05
Web page: http://www.ierdse.org/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H29 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Other
- Q25 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - Water
- R51 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Finance in Urban and Rural Economies
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Pami Dua).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.