On The Breitung Test For Panel Unit Roots And Local Asymptotic Power
AbstractThis note analyzes the local asymptotic power properties of a test proposed by Breitung (2000, in B. Baltagi (ed.), Nonstationary Panels, Panel Cointegration, and Dynamic Panels). We demonstrate that the Breitung test, like many other tests (including point optimal tests) for panel unit roots in the presence of incidental trends, has nontrivial power in neighborhoods that shrink toward the null hypothesis at the rate of n 1 4T 1 where n and T are the cross-section and time-series dimensions, respectively. This rate is slower than the n 1 2T 1 rate claimed by Breitung. Simulation evidence documents the usefulness of the asymptotic approximations given here.The authors thank Paolo Paruolo and a referee for comments on an earlier version of the paper. Phillips acknowledges partial support from a Kelly Fellowship and the NSF under grant SES 04-142254. Perron acknowledges financial support from FQRSC, SSHRC, and MITACS.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 22 (2006)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joakim Westerlund & J�rg Breitung, 2013. "Lessons from a Decade of IPS and LLC," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5-6), pages 547-591, August.
- Chirok Han & Peter C.B. Phillips, 2007.
"GMM Estimation for Dynamic Panels with Fixed Effects and Strong Instruments at Unity,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1599, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Han, Chirok & Phillips, Peter C. B., 2010. "Gmm Estimation For Dynamic Panels With Fixed Effects And Strong Instruments At Unity," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 119-151, February.
- Westerlund, Joakim & Larsson, Rolf, 2012. "Testing for a unit root in a random coefficient panel data model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 254-273.
- Mohan, Ramesh & Kemegue, Francis & Sjuib, Fahlino, 2007. "Hysteresis in Unemployment: Panel Unit Roots Tests Using State Level Data," MPRA Paper 5580, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.