The Asymptotic Efficiency Of Cointegration Estimators Under Temporal Aggregation
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of temporal aggregation on the asymptotic variances of estimators in cointegrated systems. Two important findings are obtained. First, estimators based on flow data alone are more efficient than when the data are all stocks or a mixture of stocks and flows. Second, estimators based on flow data are as efficient as when the data are recorded continuously. A method of improving efficiency with stock variables is also proposed, and an empirical illustration of the method is provided in the context of long-run money demand regressions.I thank Roy Bailey, Rex Bergstrom, Roderick McCrorie, a co-editor, and two anonymous referees for helpful comments. I also thank Katsumi Shimotsu for help with some data issues. None of these individuals are implicated, however, in any possible shortcomings of this paper. The financial support provided by the ESRC under grant R000221818 is gratefully acknowledged.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 01 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Diez de los Rios, Antonio & Sentana, Enrique, 2007.
"Testing Uncovered Interest Parity: A Continuous-Time Approach,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6516, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios & Enrique Sentana, 2011. "Testing Uncovered Interest Parity: A Continuous‐Time Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1215-1251, November.
- Enrique Sentana & Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2007. "Testing Uncovered Interest Parity: A Continuous-Time Approach," Working Papers wp2007_0714, CEMFI.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios & Enrique Sentana, 2007. "Testing Uncovered Interest Parity: A Continuous-Time Approach," Working Papers 07-53, Bank of Canada.
- Götz Thomas & Hecq Alain & Urbain Jean-Pierre, 2012.
"Forecasting Mixed Frequency Time Series with ECM-MIDAS Models,"
012, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Götz Thomas & Hecq Alain & Urbain Jean-Pierre, 2012. "Forecasting Mixed Frequency Time Series with ECM-MIDAS Models," Research Memorandum 012, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Marcus J. Chambers, 2001.
"Cointegration and Sampling Frequency,"
Economics Discussion Papers
531, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Chambers, Marcus J. & Roderick McCrorie, J., 2007. "Frequency domain estimation of temporally aggregated Gaussian cointegrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Dierk Herzery & Holger Strulik & Sebastian Vollmer, 2010.
"The Long-run Determinants of Fertility: One Century of Demographic Change 1900-1999,"
PGDA Working Papers
6310, Program on the Global Demography of Aging.
- Dierk Herzer & Holger Strulik & Sebastian Vollmer, 2012. "The long-run determinants of fertility: one century of demographic change 1900–1999," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 357-385, December.
- Herzer, Dierk & Strulik, Holger & Vollmer, Sebastian, 2010. "The Long-run Determinants of Fertility: One Century of Demographic Change 1900-1999," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-456, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Chambers, M.J. & McCrorie, J.R., 2004. "Frequency Domain Gaussian Estimation of Temporally Aggregated Cointegrated Systems," Discussion Paper 2004-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.