Testing For Zero Autocorrelation In The Presence Of Statistical Dependence
AbstractThe problem addressed in this paper is to test the null hypothesis that a time series process is uncorrelated up to lag K in the presence of statistical dependence. We propose an extension of the Box Pierce Q-test that is asymptotically distributed as chi-square when the null is true for a very general class of dependent processes that includes non-martingale difference sequences. The test is based on a consistent estimator of the asymptotic covariance matrix of the sample autocorrelations under the null. The finite sample performance of this extension is investigated in a Monte Carlo study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 18 (2002)
Issue (Month): 03 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Zhang, Jingsi & Jiang, Wenxin & Shao, Xiaofeng, 2013. "Bayesian model selection based on parameter estimates from subsamples," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(4), pages 979-986.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2004:i:46:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Miguel A. Delgado & Carlos Velasco, 2010. "A distribution-free transform of the residuals sample autocorrelations with application to model checking," Economics Working Papers we101707, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Todea, Alexandru & Zoicas Ienciu, Adrian, 2011. "Technical Analysis and Stochastic Properties of Exchange Rate Movements: Empirical Evidence from the Romanian Currency Market," Journal for Economic Forecasting, Institute for Economic Forecasting, vol. 0(1), pages 175-192, March.
- Adrian Wai-Kong Cheung & Jen-Je Su & Astrophel Kim Choo, 2011. "Are Euro exchange rates markets efficient? New evidence from a large panel," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201109, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Sant'Anna, Pedro H. C., 2013. "Testing for Uncorrelated Residuals in Dynamic Count Models with an Application to Corporate Bankruptcy," MPRA Paper 48376, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Shao, Xiaofeng, 2011. "A bootstrap-assisted spectral test of white noise under unknown dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(2), pages 213-224, June.
- Jen-Je Su, 2005. "On the size and power of testing for no autocorrelation under weak assumptions," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4), pages 247-257.
- Marian Vavra, 2012. "Testing Non-linearity Using a Modified Q Test," Birkbeck Working Papers in Economics and Finance 1204, Birkbeck, Department of Economics, Mathematics & Statistics.
- Chortareas, Georgios & Jiang, Ying & Nankervis, John C., 2011. "The random-walk behavior of the Euro exchange rate," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 158-162, September.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sainan Jin, 2013. "Testing the Martingale Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1912, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Escanciano, J. Carlos & Lobato, Ignacio N., 2009. "An automatic Portmanteau test for serial correlation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 151(2), pages 140-149, August.
- Guay, Alain & Guerre, Emmanuel & Lazarová, Štěpána, 2013. "Robust adaptive rate-optimal testing for the white noise hypothesis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 134-145.
- Amélie Charles & Olivier Darné & Jae H. Kim, 2010.
"Exchange-Rate Return Predictability and the Adaptive Markets Hypothesis: Evidence from Major Foreign Exchange Rates,"
- Charles, Amélie & Darné, Olivier & Kim, Jae H., 2012. "Exchange-rate return predictability and the adaptive markets hypothesis: Evidence from major foreign exchange rates," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1607-1626.
- Carlos Velasco & Ignacio N. Lobato, 2004. "A simple and general test for white noise," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 112, Econometric Society.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2007. "HAC estimation and strong linearity testing in weak ARMA models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 114-144, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.