Goodness-Of-Fit Tests Based On Kernel Density Estimators With Fixed Smoothing Parameters
AbstractIn this paper, we study the bias-corrected test developed in Fan (1994). It is based on the integrated squared difference between a kernel estimator of the unknown density function of a random vector and a kernel smoothed estimator of the parametric density function to be tested under the null hypothesis. We provide an alternative asymptotic approximation of the finite-sample distribution of this test by fixing the smoothing parameter. In contrast to the normal approximation obtained in Fan (1994) in which the smoothing parameter shrinks to zero as the sample size grows to infinity, we obtain a non-normal asymptotic distribution for the bias-corrected test. A parametric bootstrap procedure is proposed to approximate the critical values of this test. We show both analytically and by simulation that the proposed bootstrap procedure works. Consistency and local power properties of the bias-corrected test with a fixed smoothing parameter are also discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Econometric Theory.
Volume (Year): 14 (1998)
Issue (Month): 05 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECTProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lin, Liang-Ching & Lee, Sangyeol & Guo, Meihui, 2013. "Goodness-of-fit test for stochastic volatility models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 116(C), pages 473-498.
- Juan Carlos Escanciano, 2004. "Model Checks Using Residual Marked Empirical Processes," Faculty Working Papers 13/04, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Matthias Hagmann & Olivier Scaillet, 2004.
"Local Multiplicative Bias Correction For Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
25, Royal Economic Society.
- Hagmann, M. & Scaillet, O., 2007. "Local multiplicative bias correction for asymmetric kernel density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(1), pages 213-249, November.
- Matthias HAGMANN & Olivier SCAILLET, 2003. "Local Multiplicative Bias Correction for Asymmetric Kernel Density Estimators," FAME Research Paper Series rp91, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Kapetanios, George, 2008. "Bootstrap-based tests for deterministic time-varying coefficients in regression models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 534-545, December.
- Ot�vio Bartalotti, 2013. "Theory and Practice of Inference in Regression Discontinuity: A Fixed-Bandwidth Asymptotics Approach," Working Papers 1302, Tulane University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2013.
- Jiménez-Gamero, M.D. & Alba-Fernández, V. & Muñoz-García, J. & Chalco-Cano, Y., 2009. "Goodness-of-fit tests based on empirical characteristic functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(12), pages 3957-3971, October.
- Alba Fernández, V. & Jiménez Gamero, M.D. & Muñoz Garcia, J., 2008. "A test for the two-sample problem based on empirical characteristic functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3730-3748, March.
- Jiménez Gamero, M.D. & Muñoz García, J. & Pino Mejías, R., 2005. "Testing goodness of fit for the distribution of errors in multivariate linear models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 301-322, August.
- Tenreiro, Carlos, 2011. "An affine invariant multiple test procedure for assessing multivariate normality," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 55(5), pages 1980-1992, May.
- Qi Li & Esfandiar Maasoumi & Jeffrey S. Racine, 2008.
"A Nonparametric Test for Equality of Distributions with Mixed Categorical and Continuous Data,"
0805, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Li, Qi & Maasoumi, Esfandiar & Racine, Jeffrey S., 2009. "A nonparametric test for equality of distributions with mixed categorical and continuous data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 148(2), pages 186-200, February.
- Tenreiro, Carlos, 2009. "On the choice of the smoothing parameter for the BHEP goodness-of-fit test," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(4), pages 1038-1053, February.
- Kapetanios, George & Yates, Tony, 2011. "Evolving UK and US macroeconomic dynamics through the lens of a model of deterministic structural change," Bank of England working papers 434, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.