Governance, economic policy, and the environmental Kuznets curve for natural tropical forests
AbstractThis paper reports the results of an empirical analysis of the relationship between income and the rate of deforestation of tropical natural forests. The inverted U-shaped relationship known as the environmental Kuznets curve is confirmed. The study focuses on the role of institutions and macroeconomic policy in the deforestation process. Results indicate that the quality of governance is an important determinant of forest resource preservation, and that rural population pressure is not as important as suggested by other studies. Agricultural technology improvement and enhanced educational attainment also lead to reductions of deforestation rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Cambridge University Press in its journal Environment and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 9 (2004)
Issue (Month): 03 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Edinburgh Building, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 2RU UK
Fax: +44 (0)1223 325150
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_EDEProvider-Email:email@example.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Halkos, George E. & Tzeremes, Nickolaos G., 2013.
"Carbon dioxide emissions and governance: A nonparametric analysis for the G-20,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 110-118.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Carbon dioxide emissions and governance: A nonparametric analysis for the G-20," MPRA Paper 40387, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Arcand, Jean-Louis & Guillaumont, Patrick & Jeanneney, Sylviane Guillaumont, 2008.
"Deforestation and the real exchange rate,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 242-262, June.
- Jean-Louis ARCAND & Patrick GUILLAUMONT & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY, 2005. "Deforestation and the Real Exchange Rate," Working Papers 200533, CERDI.
- Jean-Louis ARCAND & Sylviane GUILLAUMONT JEANNENEY & Patrick GUILLAUMONT, 2003. "Deforestation and the Real Exchange Rate," Working Papers 200332, CERDI.
- Jean-Louis Arcand & Patrick Guillaumont & Sylviane Guillaumont Jeanneney, 2011. "Deforestation and the Real Exchange Rate," Working Papers halshs-00570477, HAL.
- Araujo, Claudio & Bonjean, Catherine Araujo & Combes, Jean-Louis & Combes Motel, Pascale & Reis, Eustaquio J., 2009.
"Property rights and deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon,"
Elsevier, vol. 68(8-9), pages 2461-2468, June.
- Claudio ARAUJO & Catherine ARAUJO BONJEAN & Jean-Louis COMBES & Pascale COMBES MOTEL & Eustaquio J. REIS, 2008. "Property rights and deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon," Working Papers 200820, CERDI.
- Claudio Araujo & Catherine Araujo Bonjean & Jean-Louis Combes & Pascale Combes Motel & Eustaquio J. Reis, 2011. "Property rights and deforestation in the Brazilian Amazon," Working Papers halshs-00556699, HAL.
- Ghimire, Narishwar & Woodward, Richard T., 2013. "Under- and over-use of pesticides: An international analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 73-81.
- Pascale Combes Motel & Romain Pirard & Jean-Louis Combes, 2011.
"A methodology to estimate impacts of domestic policies on deforestation: Compensated Successful Efforts for “avoided deforestation” (REDD),"
- Combes Motel, P. & Pirard, R. & Combes, J.-L., 2009. "A methodology to estimate impacts of domestic policies on deforestation: Compensated Successful Efforts for "avoided deforestation" (REDD)," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 680-691, January.
- Romain PIRARD & Pascale COMBES MOTEL & Jean-Louis COMBES, 2008. "A methodology to estimate impacts of domestic policies on deforestation: Compensated Successful Efforts for “avoided deforestation” (REDD)," Working Papers 200805, CERDI.
- Gregmar Galinato & Suzette Galinato, 2010. "The Effects of Corruption Control and Political Stability on the Environmental Kuznets Curve of Deforestation-Induced Carbon Dioxide Emissions," Working Papers 2010-9, School of Economic Sciences, Washington State University.
- Araujo, Claudio & Bonjean, Catherine Araujo & Combes, Jean Louis & Motel, Pascal Combes & Reis, Eustaquio Jose, 2008. "Land Reform And Deforestation In The Brazilian Amazonia," 46th Congress, July 20-23, 2008, Rio Branco, Acre, Brasil 108618, Sociedade Brasileira de Economia, Administracao e Sociologia Rural (SOBER).
- Paudel, Krishna P. & Zapata, Hector O. & Schafer, Mark J. & Marzoughi, Hassan, 2005. "Does Social Capital Have a Role in Environmental Kuznets Curve? Spatial Panel Regression Approach," 2005 Annual meeting, July 24-27, Providence, RI 19457, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Castiglione, Concetta & Infante, Davide & Smirnova, Janna, 2012. "Rule of law and its implications for the environmental taxation-income path across European Countries," MPRA Paper 39433, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.