Reforming Bank Capital Requirements: Implications of Basel II for Latin American Countries
AbstractThe controversial proposal to overhaul the international accord regarding the regulation of bank capital was completed in 2004, and the thirteen Basel Committee member countries are set to implement the new accord, known as Basel II, by 2007. We develop a Basel II decision tree to guide policymakers facing the issue of whether to adopt the new accord. We also estimate credit risk in banks across three Latin American countries using a homogeneous methodology. Our findings suggest that Latin America falls between the two main Basel II alternatives. Non-G10 countries may thus wish to recalibrate Basel II's internal ratings-based (IRB) approach. Alternatively, we propose an intermediate centralized ratings-based (CRB) approach. We argue that the CRB approach may be made compatible with Basel II by developing an integrated policy for provisions and capital. We perceive a danger that Basel II may be adopted too quickly or inappropriately and may then represent the end of a standard rather than the establishment of a new one. We suggest that a Basel II-compatible CRB approach with homogeneous definitions would enhance true comparability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION in its journal JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): ()
Contact details of provider:
Bank regulation; solvency ratios; loan loss reserves; emerging economies;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- G28 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Government Policy and Regulation
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Adasme, Osvaldo & Majnoni, Giovanni & Uribe, Myriam, 2006. "Access and risk - friends or foes? Lessons from Chile," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4003, The World Bank.
- Tobias Knedlik & Johannes Ströbel, 2006. "The role of banking portfolios in the transmission from currency crises to banking crises - potential effects of Basel II," IWH Discussion Papers 21, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Ricardo N. Bebczuk, 2007. "Loans Size and Portfolio Loss Predictability in Argentina," Ensayos Económicos, Central Bank of Argentina, Economic Research Department, vol. 1(49), pages 139-155, October -.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Bernal).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.