Outward Foreign Direct Investment and Intermediate Goods Exports: Evidence from the USA
AbstractThis study examines the relationship between outward FDI stocks and final and intermediate goods exports in the US economy over the period from 1989 to 2003. Using finely disaggregated trade data, the panel data estimation indicates that the outward FDI stock and intermediate goods exports are complementary activities, verifying the hypothesis that fragmentation plays an important role in explaining intra-firm trade between different plants within the same multinational companies. In contrast, the results find a weak evidence of substitution effects between final goods exports and outward FDI stocks, providing partial support for the horizontal type FDI models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by CEPII research center in its journal Economie Internationale.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 112 ()
Foreign direct investment; intermediate goods exports; final goods exports; panel econometrics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2011. "FDI and trade: A Granger causality analysis in a heterogeneous panel," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(4), pages 2975-2985.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2013. "Do Overseas investments create or replace trade? New insights from a macro-sectoral study on Japan," Working Papers hal-00854109, HAL.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2013. "Do Overseas Investments Create or Replace Trade? New insights from a Macro-Sectoral Study on Japan," GREDEG Working Papers 2013-24, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, revised Mar 2014.
- Raphaël Chiappini, 2011. "FDI and trade: A Granger causality analysis in a heterogeneous panel," Post-Print halshs-00853441, HAL.
- Mitze, Timo & Alecke, Björn & Untiedt, Gerhard, 2008. "Trade, FDI and Cross-Variable Linkages: A German (Macro-)Regional Perspective," MPRA Paper 12245, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Timo Mitze & Björn Alecke & Gerhard Untiedt, 2009. "Trade-FDI Linkages in a System of Gravity Equations for German Regional Data," Ruhr Economic Papers 0084, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.