The social cohesion as an objective of the European Union
AbstractThe Article introduces a series of basic notions for understanding how the European Union approaches the General Objective of Social and Economical Cohesion. Starting from a brief outline of Regional Development and of the evolution of the Structural Funds, as instruments for reducing the regional socio-economic disparities, the Author underlines the important contribution of the 1986 Single European Act and presents Community Policies that influence the pursuit of the Cohesion Objective. In this respect, the main policy is, of course, the Regional Development Policy, but the article also points out how economic and monetary integration policies, agricultural policy, horizontal policies like HR or Environment, as well as other Community Policies for sectors like Transports, R&D, Energy, SMEs or Fishing try to articulate the measures intended to contribute to achieving Economic and Social Cohesion. From this integrated perspective, the succesive reforms of the Structural Funds managed to create a coherent framework of the instruments used by the Union. The process remains an evolutive one, and the European Union has to make important decisions for the future, in connection to further integration following succesive enlargements that increased the development gaps among its regions.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for Industrial Economics and Services in its journal Revista de Economie Industriala (Journal of Industrial Eonomics).
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Casa Academiei, Calea 13 Septembrie nr.13, sector 5, Bucuresti
Phone: 004 021 3182418
Fax: 004 021 318218
Web page: http://www.iei.ro/
More information through EDIRC
dezvoltare regionala; coeziune economica si sociala; fonduri structurale; politici comunitare; integrare;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- E65 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Studies of Particular Policy Episodes
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.