Corporate Governance, Industry Dynamics and Firms Performance: An Empirical Analysis of a Best Practice Model
AbstractThis paper intends to relate more closely corporate governance, industry dynamics and firms performance. In this perspective, it focuses on the impact of applying the normative, best practice, shareholder value model of corporate governance on industry dynamics and related performance measured by economic as well as financial indicators. At a theoretical level, the paper presents an integrated framework based on the connection between firms governance and industry dynamics issues. But the core of the paper is to advance that the combination of corporate governance and industry dynamics also requires important investigations into empirical aspects. At a case study level, our major finding is that the adoption of the best practice model of corporate governance in the telecoms equipment supplier industry contributed to create large ups and downs in the industry dynamics affecting both economic and financial performances. At a more general level, combining two different datasets Corporate governance Quotient (CGQ) and DATASTREAM, we show the variegated impact of the normative model on industry dynamics and confirm the observed phenomenon of ups and downs amplifications formerly emphasized, at least at the level of stock market performance. JEL Codes ? G30, L20, L60, L80, L90.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Boeck Université in its journal Recherches économiques de Louvain.
Volume (Year): 74 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-recherches-economiques-de-louvain.htm
corporate governance; industry dynamics; firm performance; stock market; innovative versus traditional industries;
Other versions of this item:
- Jackie KRAFFT & Yiping QU & Jacques-Laurent RAVIX, 2008. "Corporate Governance, Industry Dynamics and Firm Perfomance : an Empirical Analysis of a Best Practice Model," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2008042, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- G30 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - General
- L20 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - General
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
- L90 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Francesco Quatraro & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2013.
"Corporate governance, value and performance of firms: New empirical results on convergence from a large international database,"
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Francesco Quatraro & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2013. "Corporate governance, value and performance of firms: New empirical results on convergence from a large international database," Working Papers halshs-00786763, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2012. "Gouvernance d'entreprise et performances sectorielles: une réévaluation de la fiabilité des scores et des mesures de bonne gouvernance," Post-Print hal-00493371, HAL.
- Jackie Krafft & Yiping Qu & Francesco Quatraro & Jacques-Laurent Ravix, 2013. "Corporate governance, value and performance of firms: New empirical results on convergence from a large international database," Working Papers hal-00786664, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.