Préférences face au risque et à l'avenir. Types d'épargnants
AbstractIn an extended variant of the life-cycle hypothesis, saving behaviour is shown to depend crucially on the interaction between two preference parameters: γ, which represents risk attitudes (aversion, prudence...), and δ, the rate of time depreciation. Hence, the predictions of four specific accumulation regimes: the Bons pÃ¨res de famille (high γ, low δ); the entreprenants (low γ, low δ); the tÃªtes brÃ»lÃ©es (low γ, high δ); and the cigales prudentes (high γ, high δ).The Insee-Delta Â¿Patrimoine 1998Â¿ survey allows to obtain global relative measures of the two preference parameters. An econometric analysis of the amount and composition of wealth shows then that this savers?typology has sizeable explanatory power, with effects as predicted. Ceteris paribus, Â¿bons pÃ¨res de familleÂ¿ accumulate more wealth than other households. Â¿TÃªtes brÃ»lÃ©esÂ¿ own less homes and Pep, Â¿cigales prudentesÂ¿ less (often) stocks, and these two types of savers invest less in long-term saving (whether for housing or retirement).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue économique.
Volume (Year): 56 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economique.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Masson, André & Arrondel, Luc, 2007. "Préférences face au risque et à l'avenir : types d'épargnants," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6487, Paris Dauphine University.
- Verger, Daniel & Masson, André & Arrondel, Luc, 2005. "Préférences face au risque et à l'avenir. Types d'épargnants," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6488, Paris Dauphine University.
- D81 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Criteria for Decision-Making under Risk and Uncertainty
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
- D91 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice - - - Intertemporal Household Choice; Life Cycle Models and Saving
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Luc Arrondel & André Masson, 2013. "Measuring savers' preferences how and why?," PSE Working Papers halshs-00834203, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.