Comportements chartistes et fondamentalistes. Coexistence ou domination alternative sur le marché des changes?
AbstractThis paper examines the role of chartists and fundamentalists in the foreign exchange market. This question is studied using the Markov-Switching model of Vigfusson that we extend to test for the alternative domination of each group. The tests are applied to the Canadian, Japanese and German-US exchange rates. The results support Vigfusson? findings. Chartists dominate foreign exchange market during the tranquil phases, whereas fundamentalists drag back the exchange rates to its equilibrium value during the more turbulent periods.Classification JEL : F31.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue économique.
Volume (Year): 54 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economique.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Robineau, François-Mathieu & Bessec, Marie, 2003. "Comportements chartistes et fondamentalistes : Coexistence ou domination alternative sur le marché des changes ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/10086, Paris Dauphine University.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vigfusson, Robert, 1997.
"Switching between Chartists and Fundamentalists: A Markov Regime-Switching Approach,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(4), pages 291-305, October.
- Robert Vigfusson, 1996. "Switching Between Chartists and Fundamentalists: A Markov Regime-Switching Approach," International Finance 9602003, EconWPA.
- Vigfusson, R., 1996. "Switching Between Chartists and Fundamentalists: A Markov Regime-Switching Approach," Working Papers 96-1, Bank of Canada.
- Durland, J Michael & McCurdy, Thomas H, 1994.
"Duration-Dependent Transitions in a Markov Model of U.S. GNP Growth,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 12(3), pages 279-88, July.
- J. Michael Durland & Thomas H. McCurdy, 1993. "Duration Dependent Transitions in a Markov Model of U.S. GNP Growth," Working Papers 887, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- De Long, J Bradford, et al, 1990.
" Positive Feedback Investment Strategies and Destabilizing Rational Speculation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 379-95, June.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, 1989. "Positive Feedback Investment Strategies and Destabilizing Rational Speculation," NBER Working Papers 2880, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Velayoudom Marimoutou & Éric Girardin, 1997.
"Les fondamentaux permettent-ils d'améliorer la prévision du taux de change franc-dollar ?,"
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(3), pages 661-672.
- Velayoudom Marimoutou & Éric Girardin, 1997. "Les fondamentaux permettent-ils d'améliorer la prévision du taux de change franc-dollar ?," Revue Économique, Programme National Persée, vol. 48(3), pages 661-672.
- Murray, John & Mark Zelmer & Zahir Antia, 2000. "International Financial Crises and Flexible Exchange Rates: Some Policy Lessons from Canada," Technical Reports 88, Bank of Canada.
- Meese, Richard A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1983. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies : Do they fit out of sample?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1-2), pages 3-24, February.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Froot, Kenneth A, 1986. "Understanding the U.S. Dollar in the Eighties: The Expectations of Chartists and Fundamentalists," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 24-38, Supplemen.
- De Grauwe, Paul, 1994. "Exchange Rates in Search of Fundamental Variables," CEPR Discussion Papers 1073, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. Bradford De Long & Andrei Shleifer & Lawrence H. Summers & Robert J. Waldmann, .
"Noise Trader Risk in Financial Markets,"
J. Bradford De Long's Working Papers
_124, University of California at Berkeley, Economics Department.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1996.
"Inference When a Nuisance Parameter Is Not Identified under the Null Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 64(2), pages 413-30, March.
- Tom Doan, . "TAR: RATS procedure to estimate a threshold autoregression, tests for threshold effect," Statistical Software Components RTS00209, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1991. "Inference when a Nuisance Parameter is Not Identified Under the Null Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 296, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's threshold estimation and testing results," Statistical Software Components RTZ00091, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Murray, J. & Van Norden, S. & Vigfusson, R., 1996. "Excess Volatility and Speculative Bubbles in the Canadian Dollar: Real of Imagined?," Technical Reports 76, Bank of Canada.
- Taylor, Mark P. & Allen, Helen, 1992. "The use of technical analysis in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 304-314, June.
- Ralf Ahrens & Stefan Reitz, 2000. "Chartist Prediction in the Foreign Exchange Market. Evidence from the Daily Dollar/DM Exchange Rate," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1683, Econometric Society.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Chinn, Menzie David, 2001.
"Currency traders and exchange rate dynamics: a survey of the US market,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 439-471, August.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn, 2000. "Currency Traders and Exchange Rate Dynamics: A Survey of the U.S. Market," CESifo Working Paper Series 251, CESifo Group Munich.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1998.
"Understanding Exchange Rate Volatility Without the Contrivance of Macroeconomics,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1944, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Flood, Robert P & Rose, Andrew K, 1999. "Understanding Exchange Rate Volatility without the Contrivance of Macroeconomics," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(459), pages F660-72, November.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Moosa , Imad A. & Korczak, Marta, 2000. "The Role of Fundamentalists and Technicians in Exchange Rate Determination," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio di Genova, vol. 53(1), pages 97-106.
- Hamilton, James D., 1996. "Specification testing in Markov-switching time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 127-157, January.
- Engel, Charles & Hamilton, James D, 1990. "Long Swings in the Dollar: Are They in the Data and Do Markets Know It?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 689-713, September.
- Lui, Yu-Hon & Mole, David, 1998. "The use of fundamental and technical analyses by foreign exchange dealers: Hong Kong evidence," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 535-545, June.
- Hamilton, James D., 1990. "Analysis of time series subject to changes in regime," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 39-70.
- Remzi Uctum & Georges Prat, 1996. "Formation des anticipations de change : l'hypothèse d'un processus mixte," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 125(4), pages 117-135.
- Paul Grauwe & Hans Dewachter, 1993. "A chaotic model of the exchange rate: The role of fundamentalists and chartists," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 4(4), pages 351-379, December.
- Olivier Damette & Stéphane Goutte, 2014. "Tobin tax and trading volume tightening: a reassessment," Working Papers halshs-00926805, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.