Wavelet Variance Analysis of Output in G-7 Countries
AbstractThe large decline in output volatility experienced by most industrialized countries in the last decades has been thoroughly analyzed using standard time and frequency domain methods. In this paper we investigate the issue of moderation of volatility in G-7 economies and its sources, applying a multi-scaling approach to the industrial production indices of G-7 countries between 1961:1-2006:10. Using the MODWT estimates of wavelet variance we provide a scale-based analysis of variance that allows us to characterize the decline in volatility and to detect the importance of the various explanations of the moderation. The main scale-by-scale results stemming from multi scale analysis of variance are: i) a reduction in volatility which, although displayed by all the G-7 countries, is not uniform across time scales (as the decline is larger at short-term scales than at business cycle scales for France and Italy, and quite uniform across scale for the UK and the US) nor countries (as the decline is significant for a subset of countries only, i.e. France, Italy, the UK and the US); and ii) the moderation has to be attributable to the decline in the variance of both common (in the 1970s) and country-specific (in the 1960s) exogenous disturbances hitting the economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernández-Macho, Javier, 2012.
"Wavelet multiple correlation and cross-correlation: A multiscale analysis of Eurozone stock markets,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 391(4), pages 1097-1104.
- Fernández Macho, Francisco Javier, 2011. "Wavelet multiple correlation and cross-correlation: A multiscale analysis of euro zone stock markets," BILTOKI 2011-04, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Krüger, Niclas, 2012. "Estimating traffic demand risk - a multiscale analysis," Working papers in Transport Economics 2012:14, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
- Krüger, Niclas A., 2012. "Estimating traffic demand risk – A multiscale analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1741-1751.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Yi Wen, 2011.
"OPEC’s oil exporting strategy and macroeconomic (in)stability,"
2011-013, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Wen, Yi, 2012. "OPEC's oil exporting strategy and macroeconomic (in)stability," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 132-136.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar & Yi Wen, 2011. "OPEC´s Oil Exporting Strategy and Macroeconomic (In)Stability," NIPE Working Papers 10/2011, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- Grané, Aurea & Veiga, Helena, 2010. "Wavelet-based detection of outliers in financial time series," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(11), pages 2580-2593, November.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Maria Soares, 2011. "Oil and the macroeconomy: using wavelets to analyze old issues," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 40(3), pages 645-655, May.
- Peter Martey Addo & Monica Billio & Dominique Guegan, 2012.
"Alternative Methodology for Turning-Point Detection in Business Cycle: A Wavelet Approach,"
Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne
12023, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Peter Martey Addo & Monica Billio & Dominique Guegan, 2012. "Alternative Methodology for Turning-Point Detection in Business Cycle : A Wavelet Approach," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00694420, HAL.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Martins, Manuel M.F. & Soares, Maria Joana, 2012.
"The yield curve and the macro-economy across time and frequencies,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 1950-1970.
- Luís Aguiar-Conraria & Manuel M. F. Martins & Maria Joana Soares, 2010. "The yield curve and the macro-economy across time and frequencies," CEF.UP Working Papers 1004, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Luís Francisco Aguiar & Manuel M. F. Martins & Maria Joana Soares, 2010. "The yield curve and the macro-economy across time and frequencies," NIPE Working Papers 21/2010, NIPE - Universidade do Minho.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2012.
"A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case,"
w201203, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Rua, António & Nunes, Luis C., 2012. "A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 84-92.
- Aguiar-Conraria, Luís & Azevedo, Nuno & Soares, Maria Joana, 2008. "Using wavelets to decompose the time–frequency effects of monetary policy," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(12), pages 2863-2878.
- Haven, Emmanuel & Liu, Xiaoquan & Shen, Liya, 2012. "De-noising option prices with the wavelet method," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 222(1), pages 104-112.
- Joanna Bruzda, 2011. "Business cycle synchronization according to wavelets – the case of Poland and the euro zone member countries," Bank i Kredyt, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute, vol. 42(3), pages 5-32.
- Caraiani, Petre, 2012. "Stylized facts of business cycles in a transition economy in time and frequency," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2163-2173.
- Caraiani, Petre, 2012. "Money and output: New evidence based on wavelet coherence," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 547-550.
- Crowley, Patrick M & Schultz, Aaron, 2010.
"A new approach to analyzing convergence and synchronicity in growth and business cycles: cross recurrence plots and quantification analysis,"
Research Discussion Papers
16/2010, Bank of Finland.
- Crowley, Patrick & Aaron, Schultz, 2010. "A New Approach to Analyzing Convergence and Synchronicity in Growth and Business Cycles: Cross Recurrence Plots and Quantification Analysis," MPRA Paper 23728, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Krüger, Niclas, 2012. "Does infrastructure really cause growth?: the time scale dependent causality nexus between infrastructure investments and GDP," Working papers in Transport Economics 2012:15, CTS - Centre for Transport Studies Stockholm (KTH and VTI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.