A Two-Sided Market Analysis of Provider Investment Incentives with an Application to the Net-Neutrality Issue
AbstractWe address whether local ISPs should be allowed to charge content providers, who derive advertising revenue, for the right to access end-users. We compare two-sided pricing where such charges are allowed to one-sided pricing where they are prohibited. By deriving provider equilibrium actions (prices and investments), we determine which regime is welfare-superior as a function of a few key parameters. We find that two-sided pricing is more favorable when the ratio between parameters characterizing advertising rates and end-user price sensitivity is either low or high.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Network Economics.
Volume (Year): 8 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Isabel Amigo & Pablo Belzarena & Sandrine Vaton, 2013. "A pricing scheme for QoS in overlay networks based on first-price auctions and reimbursement," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 69-93, November.
- Duarte Brito & Pedro Pereira & João Vareda, 2013. "Network Neutrality under ISP duopoly: on the ability to assign capacity," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_19, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- Nicholas Economides & Joacim Tåg, 2007.
"Net Neutrality on the Internet: A Two-sided Market Analysis,"
07-14, NET Institute, revised Sep 2007.
- Economides, Nicholas & Tåg, Joacim, 2012. "Network neutrality on the Internet: A two-sided market analysis," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 91-104.
- Nicholas Economides & Joacim Tåg, 2007. "Net Neutrality on the Internet: A Two-sided Market Analysis," Working Papers 07-45, NET Institute, revised Nov 2007.
- Economides, Nicholas & Tåg, Joacim, 2008. "Network Neutrality on the Internet: A Two-sided Market Analysis," Working Paper Series 727, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 09 Nov 2011.
- Chris Edmond, 2007. "Information Revolutions and the Overthrow of Autocratic Regimes," Working Papers 07-26, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Anna D'Annunzio & Antonio Russo, 2013.
"Network Neutrality, Access to Content and Online Advertising,"
RSCAS Working Papers
2013/57, European University Institute.
- Antonio Russo & Anna D’Annunzio, 2013. "Network Neutrality, Access to Content and Online Advertising," KOF Working papers 13-344, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Anna D'Annunzio & Antonio Russo, 2013. "Network Neutrality, Access to Content and Online Advertising," DIAG Technical Reports 2013-09, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Marc LEBOURGES & Claudia SAAVEDRA, 2011. "Lights and Shadows from Economic Analysis on Net Neutrality and Internet Pricing Policies," Communications & Strategies, IDATE, Com&Strat dept., vol. 1(84), pages 75-92, 4th quart.
- Jonathan Baker & Mark Bykowsky & Patrick DeGraba & Paul LaFontaine & Eric Ralph & William Sharkey, 2011. "The Year in Economics at the FCC, 2010–11: Protecting Competition Online," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 39(4), pages 297-309, December.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013.
"The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey,"
Review of Economics,
Lucius & Lucius, vol. 64(3), pages 193-269.
- Ingo Vogelsang, 2013. "The Endgame of Telecommunications Policy? A Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 4545, CESifo Group Munich.
- Daeho Lee & Junseok Hwang, 2011. "The Effect of Network Neutrality on the Incentive to Discriminate, Invest and Innovate: A Literature Review," TEMEP Discussion Papers 201184, Seoul National University; Technology Management, Economics, and Policy Program (TEMEP), revised Nov 2011.
- Wulf, Jochen & Limbach, Felix & Zarnekow, Rüdiger, 2010. "Analysis of QoS Platform Cooperation Strategies," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 39, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.