The Economics of Digital Business Models: A Framework for Analyzing the Economics of Platforms
AbstractThe paper proposes an analytical framework for comparing different business models for producing information goods and digital services. It is based on three dimensions that also refer to contrasted literature: the economics of matching, the economics of assembling and the economics of knowledge management. Our framework attempts to identify the principal trade-offs at the core of choices among alternative digital business models, and to compare them in terms of competitiveness and efficiency. It also highlights the role played by users in the production of information goods and competition with pure suppliers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Network Economics.
Volume (Year): 6 (2007)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
Other versions of this item:
- Pénard, Thierry & Brousseau, Eric, 2007. "The Economics of Digital Business Models: A Framework for Analyzing the Economics of Platforms," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7127, Paris Dauphine University.
- L8 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services
- L1 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ghafele, Roya & Gibert, Benjamin, 2011. "The transformative impact of business models," MPRA Paper 38346, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rahul Basole & Jürgen Karla, 2011. "On the Evolution of Mobile Platform Ecosystem Structure and Strategy," Business & Information Systems Engineering, Springer, vol. 3(5), pages 313-322, October.
- Brousseau, Eric & Pénard, Thierry, 2009. "Assembling Platforms: Strategy and Competition," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/12317, Paris Dauphine University.
- Bojoagă Alexandru & Petrişor Ioan, 2013. "Communication Strategy About Business Models: Stakeholders Perspective," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 1434-1442, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.