A Fallacy of Dominant Price Vectors in Network Industries
AbstractIn German mobile phone contracts, calls in the provider's home net are usually less expensive than external calls (to the network of a competitor). Thus customers have to compare vectors of prices, and such a comparison can be the source of a fallacy in the presence of network externalities. Even if a provider with a lower market share requires lower prices for calls in the home as well as to other networks, his average price may be higher than that of a larger provider. Not being aware of this fact is called "a fallacy of dominant price vectors". Based on a questionnaire study this fallacy turns out to be a real phenomenon.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Network Economics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wulf, Jochen & Limbach, Felix & Zarnekow, Rüdiger, 2010. "Analysis of QoS Platform Cooperation Strategies," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 39, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Muck, Johannes, 2012. "The effect of on-net / off-net differentiation and heterogeneuous consumers on network size in mobile telecommunications : an agent-based aporoach," 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 60355, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Muck, Johannes, 2012. "The Effect of On-net/Off-net Differentiation and Heterogeneous Consumers on Network Size in Mobile Telecommunications – An Agent-based Approach," 19th ITS Biennial Conference, Bangkok 2012: Moving Forward with Future Technologies - Opening a Platform for All 72477, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Graf, Julia, 2012.
"Irrationality rings!: Experimental evidence on mobile tariff choices,"
23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012
60376, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
- Barth, Anne-Kathrin & Graf, Julia, 2011. "Irrationality rings! - Experimental evidence on mobile tariff choices," DICE Discussion Papers 36, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Haucap, Justus & Heimeshoff, Ulrich & Stühmeier, Torben, 2010. "Wettbewerb im deutschen Mobilfunkmarkt," DICE Ordnungspolitische Perspektiven 04, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.