An Application of DEA Windows Analysis to Container Port Production Efficiency
AbstractThere have been various analyses of the efficiency of container port (or terminal) production using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) based on cross-sectional data. When time is not considered, the efficiency results derived using this approach can be biased. In order to overcome this problem, this paper applies DEA windows analysis, utilising panel data, to a sample of the worlds major container ports in order to deduce their relative efficiency. The results suggest that estimates of container port efficiency fluctuate over time. The paper concludes that existing programming methods for estimating efficiency are inadequate in capturing the long-term increased efficiency and competitiveness that accrue from significant investments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Network Economics.
Volume (Year): 3 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yan, Jia & Sun, Xinyu & Liu, John J., 2009. "Assessing container operator efficiency with heterogeneous and time-varying production frontiers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 172-185, January.
- José Antonio Reyes, 2007. "El punto que le falta al CAFTA," Research Department Publications 4529, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Santiago Herrera & Gaobo Pang, 2008.
"Eficiency of Infrastructure: The Case of Container Ports,"
ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics], vol. 9(1), pages 165-194.
- Santiago Herrera & Gaobo Pang, 2006. "Efficiency Of Infrastructure: The Case Of Container Ports," Anais do XXXIV Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 34th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 124, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Cullinane, Kevin & Wang, Teng-Fei & Song, Dong-Wook & Ji, Ping, 2006. "The technical efficiency of container ports: Comparing data envelopment analysis and stochastic frontier analysis," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 354-374, May.
- M. Foddi & S. Usai, 2012. "Regional innovation performance in Europe," Working Paper CRENoS 201221, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Ahmed Salem Al-Eraqi & Adli Mustafa & Ahamad Tajudin Khader, 2010. "An extended DEA windows analysis: Middle East and East African seaports," Journal of Economic Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 208-218, May.
- Trujillo, Lourdes & González, María Manuela & Jiménez, Juan Luis, 2013. "An overview on the reform process of African ports," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(C), pages 12-22.
- Pallis, Athanasios A. & Syriopoulos, Theodore, 2007. "Port governance models: Financial evaluation of Greek port restructuring," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 232-246, May.
- Vítor Caldeirinha & J. Augusto Felício & Andreia Dionísio, 2013. "The container terminal characteristics and customer’s satisfaction," CEFAGE-UE Working Papers 2013_14, University of Evora, CEFAGE-UE (Portugal).
- M. Deidda & N. Garrido & M. Pulina, 2011. "Exploring the dynamics of the efficiency in the Italian hospitality sector. A regional case study," Working Paper CRENoS 201117, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Caldeirinha, Vitor R. & Felicio, J. Augusto, 2011.
"A influência dos factores de caracterização dos portos no desempenho, medido por indicadores operacionais, financeiros e de eficiência
[The influence of factors characterizing the performance o," MPRA Paper 30009, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Odeck, James & Bråthen, Svein, 2012. "A meta-analysis of DEA and SFA studies of the technical efficiency of seaports: A comparison of fixed and random-effects regression models," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 46(10), pages 1574-1585.
- Halkos, George & Tzeremes, Nickolaos, 2012. "Measuring seaports’ productivity: A Malmquist productivity index decomposition approach," MPRA Paper 40174, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cheon, SangHyun, 2007. "World Port Institutions and Productivity: Roles of Ownership, Corporate Structure, and Inter-port Competition," University of California Transportation Center, Working Papers qt7t64h5wr, University of California Transportation Center.
- José Antonio Reyes, 2007. "The Missing Point in CAFTA," Research Department Publications 4528, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Gonzalez, M. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Efficiency measurement in the port industry: a survey of the empirical evidence," Working Papers 07/08, Department of Economics, City University London.
- González, MarIÂ´a Manuela & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2008. "Reforms and infrastructure efficiency in Spain's container ports," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 243-257, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.