The Impact of the Regulatory Process and Price Cap Regulation in Latin American Telecommunications Markets
AbstractI empirically examine the impact of the liberalization and regulatory process on the Latin American telecommunications sector during the period 1990-1998. I find that privatisation and the existence of an independent regulator are positively associated with teledensity and operating efficiency while competition and price cap regulation are strongly positively associated with teledensity. This study confirms results in previous research that identify the importance of an independent regulator, competition and privatisation. Moreover, this study provides an initial examination of the positive impact that price cap regulation has had on telecommunications market in Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal Review of Network Economics.
Volume (Year): 2 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gual Jordi & Trillas Francesc, 2006.
"Telecommunications Policies: Measurement and Determinants,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(2), pages 1-24, June.
- Gual, Jordi & Trillas, Francesc, 2006. "Telecommunications policies: Measurement and determinants," IESE Research Papers D/630, IESE Business School.
- Dewenter, Ralf & Kruse, Jörn, 2010.
"Calling party pays or receiving party pays? The diffusion of mobile telephony with endogenous regulation,"
DICE Discussion Papers
10, Heinrich‐Heine‐Universität Düsseldorf, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE).
- Dewenter, Ralf & Kruse, Jörn, 2011. "Calling party pays or receiving party pays? The diffusion of mobile telephony with endogenous regulation," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 107-117, March.
- Gasmi, Farid & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2008.
"The Determinants and Impact of Telecommunications Reform in Developping Countries,"
IDEI Working Papers
530, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, Farid & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2010. "The determinants and impact of telecommunications reforms in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(2), pages 275-286, November.
- Gasmi, Farid & Recuero Virto, Laura, 2009. "The Determinants and Impact of Telecommunications Reforms in Developing Countries," TSE Working Papers 09-092, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Estache, Antonio & Goicoechea, Ana & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2006.
"Utilities reforms and corruption in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4081, The World Bank.
- Estache, Antonio & Goicoechea, Ana & Trujillo, Lourdes, 2009. "Utilities reforms and corruption in developing countries," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 191-202, June.
- Estache, A. & Goicoechea, A. & Trujillo, L., 2007. "Utilities reforms and corruption in developing countries," Working Papers 07/07, Department of Economics, City University London.
- Antonio Estache & A. Goicoechea & Lourdes Trujillo, 2008. "Utilities reforms and corruption in developing countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43908, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Montoya, Miguel A. & Trillas, Francesc, 2007. "The measurement of the independence of telecommunications regulatory agencies in Latin America and the Caribbean," Utilities Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 182-190, September.
- Estache, Antonio & Goicoechea, Ana & Manacorda, Marco, 2006. "Telecommunications performance, reforms, and governance," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3822, The World Bank.
- Antonio Estache & L. Wren-Lewis, 2008. "Towards a Theory of Regulation for Developing Countries: Following Laffont's Lead," Working Papers ECARES 2008_018, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Nagayama, Hiroaki, 2010. "Impacts on investments, and transmission/distribution loss through power sector reforms," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 38(7), pages 3453-3467, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.