Schumpeterian Growth, North-South Trade and Wage Rigidity
AbstractThis paper presents a two-country non-scale Schumpeterian endogenous growth model with interindustry North-South trade and wage rigidity in the North. Its purpose is to analyze the effects of a compression of the wage structure and an increase in unemployment benefits on Northern unskilled unemployment and growth. Both innovation and skill acquisition rates are endogenously determined. We show how the two labor market policies differ with respect to education incentives in a general equilibrium with balanced trade. We further highlight the relevance of North-South trade and incomplete Northern specialization for the labor market effects that we obtain in our model. We demonstrate that the growth effects of a compression of the Northern wage structure depend decisively on the specific formulation of rising R&D difficulty.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Gruyter in its journal The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.degruyter.com
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Wolf-Heimo Grieben, 2006.
"Globalization with Labor Market Frictions and Non-Scale Growth,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_053, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Wolf-Heimo Grieben, 2006. "Globalization with labor market frictions and non-scale growth," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 06-09, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Grieben, Wolf-Heimo & Sener, Fuat, 2009. "Globalization, rent protection institutions, and going alone in freeing trade," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(8), pages 1042-1065, November.
- Wolf-Heimo Grieben & Fuat Sener, 2009. "Labor Unions, Globalization, and Mercantilism," CESifo Working Paper Series 2889, CESifo Group Munich.
- Finn Martensen, 2013. "Globalization, Unemployment, and Product Cycles: Short- and Long-Run Effects," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2013-16, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
- Wolf-Heimo Grieben & Fuat Sener, 2012. "North-South Trade, Unemployment and Growth: What’s the Role of Labor Unions?," Working Paper Series of the Department of Economics, University of Konstanz 2012-06, Department of Economics, University of Konstanz.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.