Frontier Survey on Travel Expenditure: methodology, presentation and output assessment (2003-2005)
AbstractTravel-related external transactions are important determinants of the current account balance of Greece. From the early 1950s, data on external travel credits and payments were a by-product of the exchange control framework. With the dismantling of exchange controls, resident banks represented the main source of information for compiling the monthly balance of payments statements. Following Greece’s participation in the euro area, this information source became obsolete. As a result, since 2002, the Bank has been using a Frontier Sample Survey to estimate external inbound and outbound travel expenditure on a monthly basis. This article has three principal objectives. First, it provides a detailed presentation of the methodology used for the Travel Survey. Second, there is a detailed presentation and analysis of the basic data produced by the Surveys as well as related indicators such as average length of stay, expenditure per visit, etc for 2003-2005. Finally, a quality assessment of the data is provided.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department in its journal Economic Bulletin.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 27 (July)
Balance of payments statistics; travel; tourism;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "The Size and structure of uninsured employment," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 23-41, December.
- Costas N. Kanellopoulos, 2012. "Employment and worker flows during the financial crisis," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 36, pages 31-41, April.
- Petros M. Migiakis, 2012. "Reviewing the proposals for common bond issuances by the euro-area sovereign under a long-term perspective," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 43-54, December.
- Zacharias Bragoudakis & Dimitrios Sideris, 2012. "Do retail gasoline prices adjust symmetrically to crude oil price changes? the case of the Greek oil market," Economic Bulletin, Bank of Greece, Economic Research Department, issue 37, pages 7-21, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christina Tsochatzi).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.