Competitiveness: From Microeconomic Foundations To National Determinants
AbstractThis paper is a survey of economic literature related to competitiveness and its definition. The conceptual framework introduced by Michael Porter in 1990 remains exceptionally influential, but there are economists, like Krugman which consider the concept of national competitiveness as irrelevant or ambiguous. The aim of this paper is to provide a coherent representation of the meaning of competitiveness. We make the distinction between macroeconomic and microeconomic competitiveness, arguing that are strongly related. We can say that in last years the competitiveness literature is moving toward a convergent understanding of the concept and different ways to define and measure competitiveness have a lot in common.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences in its journal Studies in Business and Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2006)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences Dumbravii Avenue, No.17, postal code 550324, Sibiu, Romania
Phone: 004 0269 210375
Fax: 004 0269 210375
Web page: http://economice.ulbsibiu.ro/
More information through EDIRC
competitiveness; productivity; create welfare; external markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Alin Opreana & Diana Marieta Mihaiu, 2011. "Analysis Of European Union Competitiveness From A New Multidimensional Model Perspective," Romanian Economic Business Review, Romanian-American University, vol. 6(4), pages 68-83, december.
- Marcos E. Domínguez Viera, 2011. "Does the Impact of Oportunidades Program Increases in Highly Competitive Regions?," Ensayos Revista de Economia, Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, Facultad de Economia, vol. 0(2), pages 79-111, November.
- Viera Pavličková, 2013. "The Competitiveness Of Slovak Foreign Trade In The European Market," Economic Annals, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade, vol. 58(196), pages 7-50, January â.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mihaela Herciu).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.