Growth and Profitability in the Leeds Engineering Sector
AbstractThis paper investigates the determination of growth and profitability of engineering firms located in Leeds. The model draws on the existing literature in industrial economics, supplemented by variables reflecting the spatial dimension. The principal conclusions are firstly, the results are significantly affected by the precise definitions of the variables used; secondly, there is clear evidence that the relationship between growth and profitability runs in both directions; and finally, the results show that spatial factors are a significant determinant of the performance of firms. In particular, an inner-city location has a significant negative impact on the rate of return on assets. Copyright 1989 by Scottish Economic Society.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Scottish Economic Society in its journal Scottish Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 36 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0036-9292
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gavin C Reid, 1994. "Limit's to a Firm's Rate of Growth: the Richardsonian View and its Contemporary Empirical Significance," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9426, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C Reid, 1997. "The Development and Survival of New Small Businesses: Empirical Evidence for Scotland 1994-97," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9712, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Gavin C Reid, 1997. "Small Firms' Actions and their Survival Probabilities," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9721, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Hagedoorn, John & Wang, Ning, 2010. "Is there complementarity or substitutability between internal and external R&D strategies?," MERIT Working Papers 005, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.