On The Equivalence Of Weighted Country-Product-Dummy (Cpd) Method And The Rao-System For Multilateral Price Comparisons
AbstractThe country-product-dummy (CPD) method, originally proposed in Summers (1973), has recently been revisited in its weighted formulation to handle a variety of data related situations (Rao and Timmer, 2000, 2003; Heravi et al. , 2001; Rao, 2001; Aten and Menezes, 2002; Heston and Aten, 2002; Deaton et al. , 2004). The CPD method is also increasingly being used in the context of hedonic modelling instead of its original purpose of filling holes in Summers (1973). However, the CPD method is seen, among practitioners, as a black box due to its regression formulation. The main objective of the paper is to establish equivalence of purchasing power parities and international prices derived from the application of the weighted-CPD method with those arising out of the Rao-system for multilateral comparisons. A major implication of this result is that the weighted-CPD method would then be a natural method of aggregation at all levels of aggregation within the context of international comparisons. Copyright 2005 Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income and Wealth.
Volume (Year): 51 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ingvild Almas, 2012.
"International Income Inequality: Measuring PPP Bias by Estimating Engel Curves for Food,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 1093-1117, April.
- Ingvild Almås, 2010. "International Income Inequality: Measuring PPP Bias by Estimating Engel Curves for Food," CESifo Working Paper Series 3247, CESifo Group Munich.
- D. Coondoo & A. Majumder & R. Ray, 2001. "On a Method of Calculating Regional Price Differentials with Illustrative Evidence from India," ASARC Working Papers 2001-06, The Australian National University, Australia South Asia Research Centre.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht & D. S. Prasada Rao, 2010.
"Stochastic Approach To Index Numbers For Multilateral Price Comparisons And Their Standard Errors,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 56(s1), pages S32-S58, 06.
- Gholamreza Hajargasht & D.S. Prasada Rao, 2008. "Stochastic Approach to Index Numbers for Multilateral Price Comparisons and their Standard Errors," CEPA Working Papers Series WP062008, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Bettina Aten & Eric Figueroa & Troy Martin, 2011. "Notes on Estimating the Multi-Year Regional Price Parities by 16 Expenditure Categories: 2005-2009," BEA Working Papers 0071, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Mick Silver, 2009. "The Hedonic Country Product Dummy Method and Quality Adjustments for Purchasing Power Parity Calculations," IMF Working Papers 09/271, International Monetary Fund.
- Matthew J Osborne & Nathan H. Miller, 2011. "Competition among Spatially Differentiated Firms: An Estimator with an Application to Cement," BEA Working Papers 0072, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Bettina Aten & Marshall Reinsdorf, 2010. "Comparing the Consistency of Price Parities for Regions of the U.S. in an Economic Approach Framework," BEA Papers 0098, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- D.S. Prasada Rao, 2004. "The Country-Product-Dummy Method: A Stochastic Approach to the Computation of Purchasing Power Parities in the ICP," CEPA Working Papers Series WP032004, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
- Diewert, W. Erwin & Nakamura, Alice O. & Nakamura, Leonard I., 2009. "The housing bubble and a new approach to accounting for housing in a CPI," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 156-171, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.