Real GDP in the Seven Colonies of Australasia: 1861-1991
AbstractUsing data on regional money stocks, a variant of Fisher's (1911) quantity theory of money identity, and a technique first suggested by Doblin (1951) and Friedman (1961), this paper presents the first consistently-based estimates of real GDP in each of the seven British colonies of Australasia for the period 1861-91. Examination of the historical pattern of growth in the regional economies of Australasia has not previously been undertaken, due in particular to the dearth of data on aggregate incomes for the colonies (later states) of Australia. The data calculated here reveal the historical pattern of the domination of New South Wales, Victoria and New Zealand in real Australasian GDP, and the shrinkage of the cross-sectional dispersion of real per capita GDP in the seven colonies over this 131-year period. Copyright 1995 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by International Association for Research in Income and Wealth in its journal Review of Income & Wealth.
Volume (Year): 41 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0034-6586
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2006.
"The Impact of Federation on Australia's Trade Flows,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 82(258), pages 315-324, 09.
- Douglas A. Irwin, 2006. "The Impact of Federation on Australia's Trade Flows," NBER Working Papers 12160, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ian McLean, 2004.
"Australian Economic Growth in Historical Perspective,"
Method and Hist of Econ Thought
- Ian W. Mclean, 2004. "Australian Economic Growth in Historical Perspective," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 80(250), pages 330-345, 09.
- Ian W. McLean, 2004. "Australian Economic Growth in Historical Perspective," School of Economics Working Papers 2004-01, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.