Revisiting "The Fallacy of Free Trade."
AbstractThe paper examines results presented by Batra in an article entitled "The Fallacy of Free Trade" (1992). Batra contends that technical change in Japanese manufacturing necessarily reduces US real wages in the confines of a two-good, two-country Ricardo-Viner model. A parsimonious empirical Ricardo-Viner model is constructed to analyze the same issue. It is found that the impact on US real wages is very small. Systematic sensitivity analysis shows that increases in the real wage are as likely as decreases. It is concluded that Batra's assertions are empirically unlikely. Copyright 1997 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 5 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Peterson, Everett B. & Orden, David, 2006. "Linking Risk and Economic Assessments in the Analysis of Plant Pest Regulations: The Case of U.S. Imports of Mexican Avocados," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21339, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Peterson, Everett B. & Evangelou, Phylo & Orden, David & Bakshi, Nishita, 2004. "An Economic Assessment Of Removing The Partial U.S. Import Ban On Fresh Mexican Hass Avocados," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 19938, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.