Mergers and Trade Policy under Oligopoly
AbstractFor an oligopolistic industry, the effects of mergers on the domestic country"s optimal trade policy are analyzed. If the domestic country pursues an optimal trade policy then it will always lose as a result of a foreign merger. The optimal domestic response to a foreign merger is to decrease (increase) the tariff if demand is concave (convex) and to increase the production subsidy. The foreign merger reduces foreign welfare when the domestic country pursues its optimal trade policy. The optimal domestic response to a domestic merger is to leave the tariff unchanged and to increase the production subsidy. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Ltd. 2003
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Review of International Economics.
Volume (Year): 11 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0965-7576
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Martin Chalkley & Geoff Stewart, 2011.
"Trade Liberalisation, Market Structure and the Incentive to Merge,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(8), pages 1327-1347, 08.
- Martin Chalkley & Geoff Stewart, 2004. "Trade Liberalisation, Market Structure and the Incentive to Merge," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 174, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Sørgard, Lars & Straume, Odd Rune, 2003.
"National versus International Mergers in Unionised Oligopoly,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4040, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kjell Erik Lommerud & Odd Rune Straume & Lars Sørgard, 2006. "National versus international mergers in unionized oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(1), pages 212-233, 03.
- Lommerud, Kjell Erik & Straume, Odd Rune & Sørgard, Lars, 2003. "National versus international mergers in unionised oligopoly," Working Papers in Economics 12/03, University of Bergen, Department of Economics.
- Joseph F. Francois & Henrik Horn, 1998. "Competition Policy in an Open Economy," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 98-092/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gérard Gaudet & Rams Kanouni, 2004.
"Trade Liberalization and the Profitability of Domestic Mergers,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 353-358, 08.
- Gaudet, G. & Kanouni, R., 2001. "Trade Liberalization and the Profitability of Domestic Mergers," Cahiers de recherche 2001-28, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- GAUDET, Gérard & KANOUNI, Rams, 2001. "Trade Liberalization and the Profitability of Domestic Mergers," Cahiers de recherche 2001-28, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Kim, Young-Han & Kim, Sang-Kee, 2012. "Welfare effects of competitive lobbying efforts in international oligopoly markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 614-620.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A., 2008.
"A Dynamic Model of Endogenous Mergers and Trade Liberalization,"
2008-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A., 2008. "A Dynamic Model of Endogenous Mergers and Trade Liberalization," Discussion Paper 2008-005, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Yildiz, Halis Murat & Ulus, Aysegul, 2011.
"On the relationship between tariff levels and the nature of mergers,"
35021, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ulus Aysegul & Yildiz Halis M., 2012. "On the Relationship between Tariff Levels and the Nature of Mergers," The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 12(1), pages 1-40, December.
- James Gaisford & Stefan Lutz, 2007. "A Multi-Product Framework Generating Waves of Mergers and Divestitures," ICER Working Papers 36-2007, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
- Calmette, Marie-Françoise, 2007. "The Effects of Trade Liberalization Between High and Low Cost Countries when Merger Behavior is Endogenous," IDEI Working Papers 394, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Hoekman, Bernard, 1998. "Free trade and deep integration : antidumping and antitrust in regional agreements," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1950, The World Bank.
- Rafael S. Espinosa Ramírez & M. Ozgur Kayalica, 2007. "Environmental Policies and Mergers’ Externalities," Economia Mexicana NUEVA EPOCA, , vol. 0(1), pages 47-74, January-J.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. & Benchekroun, H., 2008.
"Welfare Effect of Mergers and Trade Liberalization,"
2008-009, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Ray Chaudhuri, A. & Benchekroun, H., 2008. "Welfare Effect of Mergers and Trade Liberalization," Discussion Paper 2008-19, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- M. Ozgur Kayalica & Rafael Salvador Espinosa Ramirez, 2012. "Political contributions, subsidy and mergers," EconoQuantum, Revista de Economia y Negocios, Universidad de Guadalajara, Centro Universitario de Ciencias Economico Administrativas, Departamento de Metodos Cuantitativos y Maestria en Economia., vol. 9(2), pages 61-80, Julio-Dic.
- Amrita Ray Chaudhuri & Hassan Benchekroun, 2012. "Welfare Effect of Mergers and Multilateral Trade Liberalization," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 119-133, 02.
- Qiu, Larry D. & Zhou, Wen, 2006. "International mergers: Incentives and welfare," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 38-58, January.
- Aidan Hollis, 2003. "Industrial Concentration, Output, and Trade: An Empirical Exploration," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 103-119, March.
- Beladi, Hamid & Mukherjee, Arijit, 2012. "Footloose foreign firm and profitable domestic merger," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 186-194.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.