Regional Earnings and Unemployment--A Simultaneous Approach
AbstractThis paper presents an econometric analysis of the interaction between regional unemployment and regional earnings in Britain. A two-equation error-correction model of regional earnings and unemployment determination is estimated on data for 1972 to 1988 inclusive. The wage equation relates regional earnings to unemployment, long-term unemployment, and indices of living costs both including and excluding housing costs. The unemployment equation relates regional unemployment to earnings and real output. Higher relative unemployment and lower regional living costs both lead to lower regional earnings; however, increases in regional earnings and decreases in regional output lead to increased relative unemployment. Copyright 1992 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 54 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chuang, Yih-Chyi & Lai, Wei-Wen, 2008. "The Sources of Taiwan's Regional Unemployment : A Cross-Region Panel Analysis," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 49(2), pages 47-65, December.
- Cameron, G. & Muellbauer, J., 1999.
"Earnings, Unemployment, and Housing: Evidence from a Panel of British Regions,"
1999-w7, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Cameron, Gavin & Muellbauer, John, 2000. "Earnings, Unemployment, And Housing: Evidence From A Panel Of British Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 2404, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- John Muellbauer, 2000. "Earnings, Unemployment, and Housing: Evidence from a Panel of British Regions," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1608, Econometric Society.
- John Muellbauer & Gavin Cameron, 1999. "Earnings, Unemployment, and Housing: Evidence from a Panel of British Regions," Economics Series Working Papers 1999-W07, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gavin Cameron & John Muellbauer & Jonathan Snicker, 2002.
"A Study in Structural Change: Relative Earnings in Wales Since the 1970s,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(1), pages 1-11.
- Cameron, G. & Muellbauer, J. & Snicker, J., 2001. "A Study In Structural Change: Relative Earnings In Wales Since The 1970s," Economics Series Working Papers 9961, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Gavin Cameron & John Muellbauer, 2001. "A Study in Structural Change: Relative Earnings in Wales Since the 1970s," Economics Series Working Papers 61, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Wouter Vermeulen & Jos van Ommeren, 2005.
"Compensation of Regional Unemployment in Housing Markets,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
05-093/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Wouter Vermeulen & Jos Van Ommeren, 2009. "Compensation of Regional Unemployment in Housing Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(301), pages 71-88, 02.
- Wouter Vermeulen & J. van Ommeren, 2006. "Compensation of regional unemployment in housing markets," CPB Discussion Paper 57, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- David Castro Lugo, 2006. "Curva salarial: una aplicación para el caso de México, 1993-2002," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 21(2), pages 233-273.
- Wouter Vermeulen & Jos van Ommeren, 2005. "Compensation of Regional Unemployment in Housing Markets," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-093/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Gavin Cameron & John Muellbauer, 2001. "Earnings, unemployment, and housing in Britain," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 203-220.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.