More on multipliers
AbstractRecently, Oosterhaven and Stelder (2002, "Journal of Regional Science", 42, 533-543) (OS) addressed the issue of measuring the economic importance of an industry. In practice, the traditional multipliers are commonly multiplied by, for example, the outputs. According to OS, this is a misuse that leads to double counting, a correction for which results in their net multipliers. In this note, I will provide an economic interpretation, which suggests that net multipliers may be a good choice for descriptive purposes. The comment by de Mesnard (2002, "Journal of Regional Science", 42, 545-548) adopts a different viewpoint. Following his approach, I will show that also the common procedure-which was the central point of rejection in OS-has a sound economic interpretation. In its turn, this yields an alternative interpretation for the matrices used in supply-driven input-output models. Copyright Blackwell Publishing Inc. 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Regional Science.
Volume (Year): 45 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0022-4146
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Miguel, Francisco Javier de & Llop Llop, Maria & Manresa, Antonio, 1954-, 2011. "Simulating the Impact of Sectorial Productivity Gains on Two Regional Economies: Key Sectors from a Supply Side Perspective," Working Papers 2072/169681, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Louis Mesnard, 2007. "A critical comment on Oosterhaven–Stelder net multipliers," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 249-271, June.
- Andrew Dyck & U. Sumaila, 2010. "Economic impact of ocean fish populations in the global fishery," Journal of Bioeconomics, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 227-243, October.
- onder Nomaler & Bart Verspagen, 2008.
"Knowledge Flows, Patent Citations and the Impact of Science on Technology,"
Economic Systems Research,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 339-366.
- Verspagen, Bart & Nomaler, Onder, 2007. "Knowledge Flows, Patent Citations and the Impact of Science on Technology," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 022, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Verspagen, Bart & Nomaler, Onder, 2007. "Knowledge Flows, Patent Citations and the Impact of Science on Technology," MERIT Working Papers 022, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Chang Seung & Edward Waters, 2013. "Calculating impacts of exogenous output changes: application of a social accounting matrix (SAM) model to Alaska fisheries," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 553-573, October.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2003.
"Sectoral Linkages and Industrial Efficiency: A Dilemma or a Requisition in Identifying Development Priorities?,"
0413, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Giannis Karagiannis & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2010. "Sectoral linkages and industrial efficiency: a dilemma or a requisition in identifying development priorities?," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 45(1), pages 207-233, August.
- Antonio Carlos Moretto, & João Dias, & João Carlos Lopes, & Rossana Lott Rodrigues, 2013. "Effects of demand shocks in the Brazilian economy: new production and value added multipliers," Working Papers Department of Economics 2013/22, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Cámara Sánchez , Ángeles & Flores García, Mónica & Fuentes Saguar, Patricia D., 2011. "Análisis económico y medioambiental del sector eléctrico en España/Economic and Environmental Analysis of the Electricity Sector in Spain," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 493-514, Agosto.
- Ferran Sancho, 2012.
"Some Conceptual Difficulties Regarding 'Net' Multipliers,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
910.12, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ferran Sancho, 2013. "Some conceptual difficulties regarding ‘net’ multipliers," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 537-552, October.
- Argyrios D. Kolokontes & Chrysovalantis Karafillis & Fotios Chatzitheodoridis, 2008. "Argyrios D. Kolokontes, Chrysovalantis Karafillis, Fotios Chatzitheodoridis - Peculiarities and usefulness of multipliers, elasticities and location quotients for the regional development planning: an," Romanian Journal of Regional Science, Romanian Regional Science Association, vol. 2(2), pages 118-133, December.
- Louis Mesnard, 2007. "Reply to Oosterhaven’s: the net multiplier is a new key sector indicator," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 285-296, June.
- Ho Gim & Koonchan Kim, 2009. "A study on the building of a new “output–output model” and its usefulness: based on a comparative analysis of the input–output model," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 807-829, September.
- Barbara Diaz & Laura Moniche & Antonio Morillas, 2006. "A Fuzzy clustering approach to the key sectors of the Spanish economy," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 299-318.
- Gunnar Lindberg, 2011. "On the appropriate use of (input-output) coefficients to generate non-survey regional input-output tables: Implications for the determination of output multipliers," ERSA conference papers ersa10p800, European Regional Science Association.
- Jan Oosterhaven, 2007. "The net multiplier is a new key sector indicator: reply to De Mesnard’s comment," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 273-283, June.
- Miguel Vélez, Francisco Javier de & Llop Llop, Maria & Manresa, Antonio, 1954-, 2013. "Supply Multipliers in Two Regional Economies," Working Papers 2072/213636, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- João Do Amaral & João Dias & João Lopes, 2012. "A new kind of production and value-added multiplier for assessing the scale and structure effects of demand shocks in input–output frameworks," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 49(1), pages 103-115, August.
- Martin Borowiecki & Bernhard Dachs & Doris Hanzl-Weiss & Steffen Kinkel & Johannes Pöschl & Magdolna Sass & Thomas Christian Schmall & Robert Stehrer & Andrea Szalavetz, 2012. "Global Value Chains and the EU Industry," wiiw Research Reports 383, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.